Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Another EAGLE question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

First, I'm used to PADS. In PADS I have the ability to select / highlight an item or group of items in the schematic, and they will in turn be highlighted / selected in the layout program.

Is there any similar functionality to this in Eagle? Thanks!

There is althoug you have to change between schematic and layout yourself.

Use the eye in the top right corner of the toolbar, highlight the component you whis to see and the go to layout/schematic

It doesn't seem to be working for me. Is there somewhere I need to turn on forward/backward annotation? I created the board from the schematic, and have yet to place the parts on the allowed board area.

OK, it works then. Is that the way it works, I can't highlight in one while the window is full screen and then go full screen in the other?

PS - how do I get a component to flip over? I have a SMT component on the top layer, I would like it on the bottom.

And man does this thing make doing planes and thermals and ground/power planes a cinch! Much easier than in PADS.

Last edited:
That is what I recall. Works well on two monitors.

Move parts between top and bottom by using mirror in the board editor. Works for SMD and through hole.

The same tool in the schematic editor will mirror the symbol. A bit confusing at first.

I have been using Eagle for a while but I feel that I have a lot to learn. Maybe time to go back and read the documentation.

If you make the boards using toner transfer be sure your printer can deliver enough toner to make the filled areas black. You can set the fill to a hatch pattern using the change tool if needed.

Awesome, thanks for the help man. For the money, Eagle really is a good tool. A PADS license is several thousand (5k or more I think), and you can get EAGLE for $125 for a nice version. I'll probably end up buying the unlimited schematic & layout package w/o the autorouter for $800 when I start up my business this next year. I'll probably go back and RTFM too, but I'm already good and going makin parts, layin out schematics, routin boards, all that stuff.

And I don't make boards :) Advanced Circuits is just too darn good. That Bare Bones PCB service is nice - plated through holes, white tin coating, and cheap enough for me not to mess around making my own.

Last edited:
Use Advanced Circuits BareBones. We use them *all* the time at work, very very reliable. They make the boards in one day and can overnight them to you for two-day service if you need it. The first board is pricey, but each additional really drops the price per. We actually have a PCB mill, plating machine, and board press at work that never get used. Paying a tech to even make a single layer board on the mill isn't worth the time/money.

Go through their FreeDFM service (they check your gerbers to make sure everything is cool, all you do is upload a zip file to their website and give them your email). They email you back and tell you if there are any problems. If not, submit that zip file to barebonespcb.com and you're good to go.

I really, really like them as a board house.

Also note their 3 for $33ea (2 layer) and 3 for $66ea (4 layer) specials. If you are a student (or have it shipped to a university address anyway) they will do the above specials in single units (ie, two layer board up to 60in^2 with plated through holes, solder mask, silkscreen, the whole nine yards, for $33 for just one board).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back