Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Another dead DVD player...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

Well my sister is at it again. Yes, she killed another DVD player... :(

The DVD player is an Insignia portable 7" DVD player. We have had it for about 4-5 years.

I figured out the problem, though. What happens is just as the player starts loading the disk, the eye goes up too high, and runs into the disk. Bizzar, yes, but what is it's problem?

They don't make things too last anymore.
My 6 year old Pioneer CD player packed it in with a similar symptom.
On the circuit board are all ic's i have never heard of and smd components impossible to replace.

On the other side of the coin, i have 3 AKAI reel to reel tapedecks still going fine after 30 years. Can't complain about that !

Yes, but i bet they were built to last...

Aaaah...those Akai reel to reel tape decks. When I was a teenager, a friend had one. I really envied him - what marvellous decks Akai made.

You get what you pay for - to some extent, or at least you did!.

At one time you could buy expensive well made equipment that would last a LONG time - now you can't buy anything like that, only cheap stuff, or cheap stuff with a big price tag.

So is there any hope for it? I presume no, but you never know... :rolleyes:

Marks256 said:
So is there any hope for it? I presume no, but you never know... :rolleyes:

You may as well do what I did to the last DVD player that failed on me....

I threw it on the floor, jumped up and down on it about ten times, then kicked it down the stairs :eek:

I didn't do the player much good but I felt a whole lot better after that :D

Since there is rapid obsolence, why put extra money into making something long lasting when you could save on manufacturing costs and the customer will probably never know the difference?

Empty out the DVD player of useful parts, put it back together and run out onto the street like a maniac and smash it on your driveway in public. Make sure to clean it up after.

NJ Roadmap said:
I found an DVD player in my basement - what kind of generic parts can be reused? I'm not sure I want to stamp the hell out of it and kick it down the stairs if I can use something from it!

Normally, I would have stripped it for parts as well, as I'm used to repairing things. It caused so much annoyance that I just had to kill it though :D

dknguyen said:
Since there is rapid obsolence, why put extra money into making something long lasting when you could save on manufacturing costs and the customer will probably never know the difference?

Empty out the DVD player of useful parts, put it back together and run out onto the street like a maniac and smash it on your driveway in public. Make sure to clean it up after.

Just done it. Can't be bothered to clean up though. I am a responsible citizen.

Well it can still be used as a tv. It has the AV inputs on it, so why kill it? On the plus side, it has a kick ass battery, an LCD, and the case would be perfect for my Z80 homebrew... :D

Marks256 said:
Well it can still be used as a tv. It has the AV inputs on it, so why kill it? On the plus side, it has a kick ass battery, an LCD, and the case would be perfect for my Z80 homebrew... :D

Haven't you made that yet? - or perhaps you've realised what a waste of time it would be? :p

Nigel Goodwin said:
Haven't you made that yet? - or perhaps you've realised what a waste of time it would be?

Yeah, umm, i am going to pretend you never said that (seeing how you are a mod in all...) I just got around to making the eeprom programmer. And i still don't think that i is a waste of time...

I was just thinking the other night how I need a Z80 microcomputer. NOT.. :D

But I know who to mail the next batch of stuff I clean out of the garage. Send me an address..

Nigel, he is young and he will get to see what it was like in the old days.. Things worked (no blue screen of death as we did not have color).. No viri, spam. A reset took maybe 3 seconds.

Marks256, just download a z80 bug book, read it and save the effort. :) It is a good read.

If you want to waste some time on the parts (trust me I waste a lot of time on things). Tie a PIC into that bad boy. A PIC PC would be cool.. OK, better than a Z80 PC. But 8080 and Z80 you can run CP/M and don't have to write an OS.

=sigh=

Here we go again... :rolleyes:

I want to build the z80 system to simply see if can. No real purpose, not really going to use it for anything(maybe learn the fundamentals of assembly), but nothing important.

You have to admit, it will look pretty cool.

edit:

mramos1 said:
But I know who to mail the next batch of stuff I clean out of the garage. Send me an address..

Great... more crap... :D

What do you people have against the z80?

Oh, i got the DVD player working by the way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back