Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Annoying white plastic things!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerbertMunch

Does anyone know a technique for removing the white 'plugs' from the plastic case that microcontrollers come in?

they really do my head in:D

Cheers

well...

buy tweezers which come with a handle..

it is also sometimes called ' PLAS'..

i can say.. its shape matches with .. a pair of scissors..

Regards,

Simran..:)

Instead of putting the white pins back I snap a rubber band along the length of the tube so it runs over the open ends, keeping the chips/sockets in. The down side is the rubber over time will age, die, and dump the contents if you do not spot it. How long depends on what is in you air.

I like the foam plugs the best.

I use a argon laser with a 75Watt output hooked up in series with a flux capacitor...

Oh sorry back on track (I was daydreaming), is it really that hard? I find this funny! :D

For a second I thought the plugs were for SMT package tubes, for these are easy and cause no agrivation. Now for DIP packages or through holes,

Join the league of Teeth Users like me :)

Yeah, I had resorted to that a few times. Its not a very pleasent to subject your teeth to though:D

The sidecutters work nicely, but only if theyre to hand

hey..

hey..

use this..

try atleast once.. i hope you'll try it again..

**broken link removed**

just push from a back a bit.. and extract with this tool..

Last edited:
HerbertMunch said:
I dont see why they cant just allways use the little rubber stoppers, bunged in either end.
Even when the original tubes come with the "rubber stoppers" aka foam plugs, it is common pratice to chop up the tubes as they go out to customers. There are not enough plugs to ship to everyone.

After I shorten the tube, I use a brad (small short nail) which is easier to insert/remove using the tools shown.

use Tweezers..

i feel.. Sir Nigel's Idea was good..

but instead of side cutter.. better use Tweezers..

See..

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
simrantogether said:
i feel.. Sir Nigel's Idea was good..

but instead of side cutter.. better use Tweezers..

No, likewise not longnose pliers either, the point of using side cutters is they slide under both sides of the head of the plastic plug, and you can then lever it out easily.

Nigel Goodwin said:
No, likewise not longnose pliers either, the point of using side cutters is they slide under both sides of the head of the plastic plug, and you can then lever it out easily.

This is also the way I do it [as Nigel] , just dont squeeze the cutters to hard, easy peasy;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back