Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

animal microchip reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

mashersmasher

hi i was wondering if anyone knows how to read the microchips that are usually implanted into animals? i want to stick one in my hand and use it to unlock doors and turn on my computer as well as some other things. this has probably been done before but still it would be cool

I would say that this is definitely the kind of thing you should buy rather than attempt to make. Transponders which can be embedded under the skin are medical implants and have undergone a very strict test regime before they were approved for use.

If you try to build one yourself then it's unlikely that it will work and there's a high chance it will cause some sort of adverse reaction from you body's immune system which could make you very ill or even kill you.

well i'm deffinitely going to buy the implant but i need something to read it. yes it would be easier to use a rist watch but it's so much cooler to have it in my hand

ok a reletive of mine who is a vet agreed to let me use the gun they have as long as i pay for the chip and i do it myself for legal reasons. now i was thinking i would find the reader on ebay and hack it up to activate an electric door lock.

The problem with building your own reader is that it's probably very difficult to reverse engineer the proprietary protocol the reader uses.

I suggest you do some background reading first.
Transponder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Buying a reader from eBay sounds like a good idea but you need to be sure that it's the correct one for your transponder.

Apparently Verichips are not very secure and the codes can be copied/duplicated.

Is that what you want for your house lock?

John

who's going to try to open up my house by cloning the tag :p i doubt that even if a substantial amount of people knew about it who is going to take the time to read my palm and copy it onto another

there are rfid chips made for humans. they are used also as a ccard for payment in clubs and according to discovery channel they become quite popular in the states.

anyhow, it is much easier to get a watch with programmable rfid, or some other rfid gimmick without need to put something inside you... but if you really want to, in usa you can go and get yourself tagged.

reading the chip is another thing. reading rfid is relatively simple, all you get is a chunk of zeros and ones, unique for each tag with CRC embedded in the id. The "complex" ones, for e.g. the one used for payment have 2way communication and require that you know the protocol, and iirc only few of those are publicly awailable ...

much easier solution, and with same level (low) of security is fingerprint reader, most of them allow you to put 2 or 3 fingers for each person, if for any reason you cut your finger so you can open door with another one....

Or wait till retina eye scanners are cheap. I'm just beyond the age where I think putting electronics under my skin are a good idea.
PS make sure your RFID tag doesn't set off store alarms and airport scanners.

having an rfid tag in a watch just sounds so... plain. i might as well get a fingerprint reader or somethign since it would probably be cheeper and more impressive. i'm the kind of person who would have there arm cut off if there was a better robotic one so i like the idea of having an electronic device however insignificant in my palm. i don't think it will trip airport scanners since they are pretty small but stores might be a problem but who cares really. i wont be stealing anything any time soon so that shouldn't be a problem.

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Why would you do that? Just buy a RFID card and a reader and have fun.

i'm the kind of person who would have there arm cut off if there was a better robotic one so i like the idea of having an electronic device however insignificant in my palm.
I think the last time I was prone to think that having wires stick out of me was between my 13th and 14th years of age .. even then "additions" were "acceptable", cutting off piece of me - no way
i don't think it will trip airport scanners since they are pretty small but stores might be a problem but who cares really. i wont be stealing anything any time soon so that shouldn't be a problem.

animal tag trips the airport security, they ignore it on animals, but if they find you emitting .. they are probably going to strip search you.... As for tripping the stores, I believe the markers on goods are 13MHz and animal tags are 125KHz so you should not trip those, but if you actually do, trust me, stealing or not, when that thing beeps *every* time you pass by, after 5 or 10 times, you'll cut the rfid out of you yourself ...

anyhow, you *cannot* put it in your palm! skin on your palm is *very* thick and nerve system under it is hell to navigate, embedding anything in your palm is 95% risk of loosing your hand. The human rfid chips are (again by the discovery channel) embedded under your skin between your wrist and elbow (no idea how that part of the hand is called) or near your "neck bone" (in my lang we call that key bone, no idea what is the english term - the bone between your neck and your breast)

Anatomy 101:
anyhow, you *cannot* put it in your palm! skin on your palm is *very* thick and nerve system under it is hell to navigate, embedding anything in your palm is 95% risk of loosing your hand.
I wouldn't agree on the 95% element, but it is still a very bad idea. That skin is bound in effect to the underlying tissues. Otherwise, when you grasped things, your skin would just roll and you couldn't turn or provide much force. There are also problems of infection, contractures, and pain/annoyance.
The human rfid chips are (again by the discovery channel) embedded under your skin between your wrist and elbow (no idea how that part of the hand is called)
Forearm
or near your "neck bone" (in my lang we call that key bone, no idea what is the english term - the bone between your neck and your breast)
Clavicle or collarbone

John

Last edited:
@jpanhalt, thanks for the "part names" :) I hope I will remember :)

as for the palm implant, 95% is pretty accurate, I, unfortunately, have too much experience with messed up palms (3 operations total, one on left and 2 on right hand) so I'm pretty informed about it :( .. the medicine progressed a lot so that's why there is those 5% chance of saving it .. anyhow there is 99.9% chance of complications with anything embedded right under the skin of a palm.

on topic, there are pretty nice RFID enabled ring's one can purchase. that's pretty close to "having it inside your hand" and without actually doing so. Anyhow, I never had time to play with BT chips but as I'm never without my cell phone BT communication with door lock might be interesting ... (attm my linux box turn on monitor and unlock the screen when I'm "in range" and lock it / turn off screen when I'm out of range - pretty nifty, faaaaaaaaar from secure as the whole thing is based on mac address only, some client app on phone would be needed for some medium security)

animal tag trips the airport security, they ignore it on animals, but if they find you emitting .. they are probably going to strip search you.... As for tripping the stores, I believe the markers on goods are 13MHz and animal tags are 125KHz so you should not trip those, but if you actually do, trust me, stealing or not, when that thing beeps *every* time you pass by, after 5 or 10 times, you'll cut the rfid out of you yourself ...
Embedded transponders are passive (the have no battery only emit a signal after being excited by a powerful transmitter operating at the correct frequency) so I doubt they would trip the airport security.

Some animal tags are external and are active (they contain a small battery) and might so stand a higher chance of tripping the airport securiy.

i see. perhaps puting it right below the rist away from any joints? maybe i should get a plastic surgeon to do it but i'd rather just use the gun like veteranarians use since it's so much cheeper and shouldn't be more dificult then a pearcing. thanks for the info yalls!

@hero, was not paying attention on the Heathrow but here at Nikola Tesla, to enter the "secure zone" apart from the metal detector you pass by rfid reader :) donno for what they put it there, might be to track something / someone (there was a story that some money have rfid tag, also some passports .. I really have no idea, but I noticed the readers on few airports, I saw the same thing in Orlando few months ago)

@mashermasher, do not inject anything in yourself by yourself, there is a perfectly good explanation why is that done by the professionals ... for starters, you might wanna try and make all the gadgets that will recognise the rfid chip, and after you did all the testing, and everything works, they think about shooting your self with it, not before...

i see. perhaps puting it right below the rist away from any joints? maybe i should get a plastic surgeon to do it but i'd rather just use the gun like veteranarians use since it's so much cheeper and shouldn't be more dificult then a pearcing. thanks for the info yalls!

Get an anatomy book/site and look up the wrist. How many joints do you see there?

Also, look for the radial artery. There is virtually no collateral circulation for it. Sclerose (close with scaring) the radial artery and the hand loses most of its blood supply. Drug abusers who have used the radial artery have had the unfortunate experience of finding out that little fact.

I hope your comment about seeing a plastic surgeon was not rhetorical. Try to find one in the the same office building with a psychiatrist. ;) Putting such an implant in your hand, by yourself, using veterinary instruments is a very dumb idea.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back