Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Angle Sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazur50

I am looking for a circuit. that when i turn a pot it will tell me how many deg of rotaion i have turned.

What i am looking to do is make a device. that will display in voltage or deg. the deg of a amature comutator.

thanks

Mike

Two questions:
1. Is this continuous rotation? If not, then you cannot use a potentiometer. You need an encoder. What resolution and frequency do you need?
2. How were you going to grab the read out? LCD display? Microcontroller ADC? Comparator circuitry?

If I answer exactly what you said, then all you are asking for is a potentiometer (which is a variable resistive divider), a and a voltage regulator across the two end terminals of the pot. Very simple really unless you elaborate more on what you need. As the pot is turned, it varies the divider ratio varying the voltage of the center terminal (since the end voltages are being fixed by the regulator). If you want a visual readout, you have a microcontroller with an ADC measure the voltage and send it out as a voltage (or use a conversion and send it out as an angle) onto an LCD display.

The easiest thing to do though would be to just hook up a DMM to the potentiometer.

Last edited:
-a DMM
-3-temrinal potentiometer (two end pins, one to GND, one to some voltage supply, center pin to the DMM)
-3-terminal linear voltage regulator
-two capacitors (one between input/ground and output/ground of regulator)

Doesn't realy matter what voltage the potentiometer max value is or the regulator voltage, as long as the pot isn't such a small resistance that too much current is flowing for either the pot or regulator. Of course, also make sure the regulator can handle the input voltage you give it (like from a wall wart or something). You might want to use 10V just so it's easier to work with the numbers (5V,12V also works)

Done!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back