Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

And -> OR Gate

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngIntoHW

Hi,
I saw several designs of Addition Circuits using AND -> OR Gates, as in attached picture below.
Does it take less hardware to implement an AND -> OR Gate?

My lecturer said something about having AND -> OR -> INV Gate rather easy for implementation, but did not follow him.

Last edited:
Certainly if the AND>OR gate is in one package it would take fewer chips to implement the function then a separate AND and OR gate. It likely also takes less total internal circuitry and would have less propagation delay then two separate chips.

Could do it all with NAND gates :)

Hi mates.
Thanks a lot!

I tried implementing AND-OR Gate with only NANDs, but didn't reach anywhere with that.
Is it indeed possible to do it efficiently?

There is a thread on one of these forums where a circuit used three or four 4093 Schmitt-trigger NAND gates because there is no Cmos Schmitt-trigger OR gate available.

In post 1,
If A=1 then D=1 and B,C are don't care.
If B=1 & C=1 then D=1 (A=don't care)
All other states D=0
There are many different ways to get this. Example D=B&C is like /D=/B or /C (/D= inverse of D not D)

Three nand gate will work.

Here is one way to do AND-OR-INVERT inside a chip. AND-OR requires two more transistors.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot!

As I understand, AND-OR-INV is not implemented by NAND or NOR gates, but the way you showed here?
It depends on where it is implemented. The schematic I drew might be found inside a CMOS LSI or MSI chip. I don't know of any 3-input AOI SSI chips. If you Google AND-OR-INVERT, you will find some multi-input TTL chips, but I think they all have more than 3 inputs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back