And -> OR Gate

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngIntoHW

Hi,
I saw several designs of Addition Circuits using AND -> OR Gates, as in attached picture below.
Does it take less hardware to implement an AND -> OR Gate?

My lecturer said something about having AND -> OR -> INV Gate rather easy for implementation, but did not follow him.

Last edited:
Certainly if the AND>OR gate is in one package it would take fewer chips to implement the function then a separate AND and OR gate. It likely also takes less total internal circuitry and would have less propagation delay then two separate chips.

Hi mates.
Thanks a lot!

I tried implementing AND-OR Gate with only NANDs, but didn't reach anywhere with that.
Is it indeed possible to do it efficiently?

There is a thread on one of these forums where a circuit used three or four 4093 Schmitt-trigger NAND gates because there is no Cmos Schmitt-trigger OR gate available.

In post 1,
If A=1 then D=1 and B,C are don't care.
If B=1 & C=1 then D=1 (A=don't care)
All other states D=0
There are many different ways to get this. Example D=B&C is like /D=/B or /C (/D= inverse of D not D)

Three nand gate will work.

Here is one way to do AND-OR-INVERT inside a chip. AND-OR requires two more transistors.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot!

As I understand, AND-OR-INV is not implemented by NAND or NOR gates, but the way you showed here?
It depends on where it is implemented. The schematic I drew might be found inside a CMOS LSI or MSI chip. I don't know of any 3-input AOI SSI chips. If you Google AND-OR-INVERT, you will find some multi-input TTL chips, but I think they all have more than 3 inputs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…