Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

And now we lose Bob Pease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Just heard the news a few minutes ago. Almost cant believe it. His articles were exceptionally good.

Was that the guy with the crazy breadboards? Wires all over the place? I have read some of his articles, good stuff.

Two of the best analog designers, who were around at the start of the solid-state era and whom I figuratively grew up with, gone within a few days of each other. That is indeed a huge tragedy. I don't know of anyone that can fill their shoes...

Amazing achievements there.
He has designed several very successful integrated circuits, many of them in continuous production for multiple decades. These include the LM331 voltage to frequency converter,and the LM337 adjustable voltage regulator.

For those unfamiliar with his style, I'd like to include this "Best of Bob Pease" from National Semiconductor's site:

**broken link removed**

Thanks KISS

Followed the link and have learned a LOT.
What an amazing guy Bob Pease was. I really liked his article about Bob Widlar...what a character Widlar was.

Cheers

i will miss his articles in Electronic Design.... i always looked forward to reading Pease Porridge... as a matter of fact it's been the first thing in Electronic Design that i read. i'll miss his wit and his ability to simplify difficult concepts.

I have done more reading about Bob Widlar..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Widlar

I always knew he was the "father" of Linear electronic design for IC's way back in the Seventies.

But after the whole Bob Pease, Jim Williams saga...I have sat back and looked at the whole thing.

An Engineer like Bob Widlar will never ever again be allowed to say his say and get away with it. He was at the forefront of everything he touched. He broke barriers, boundries. He innovated. He pissed people off. He was always the leader in his field. For decades. And he was always right/correct.
He is the reason why we have cellphones, computers now....

Think about it...Widlar, in spite of his ways, was an absolute genius.

Pushing the unknown. No help from anyone. Everything came from his brain. No wonder he got as pissed all the time to give his brain a rest from thinking. Sleepless, restless nights don't help thinking. Alcohol has a sedative effect.

I really wish I could of met Bob Widlar.

The more I read, the more I learn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Semiconductor

Read it ALL: On April 4, 2011, Texas Instruments announced that it has agreed to buy National Semiconductor for $6.5 billion in cash. Texas Instruments will pay $25 per share of National Semiconductor stock. This is an 80% premium over the share price of $14.07 as of April 04, 2011 close. The deal would make Texas Instruments one of the world's largest makers of analog technology components.

TI sat back and did their own thing and let the others fight for the spoils.
Very, very clever thinking on TI part. For years and years.

Even at that the huge premium they paid...probably worth every cent. TI is about to go ballistic with all they do....

I don't "personally" like anything that Texas Instruments makes.

Interesting times ahead.

Last edited:
Yes. He was with many of the NS seminars I attended here in Vancouver, BC. You had to allmost line-up in the hallway to say hello!

My fave pix from his book: Troubleshouting Analog Circuits. VW heads as heatsinks! I hope they were cleaned! E

Attachments

• RAP.JPG
    RAP.JPG
    653.9 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
did anybody here ever meet or know Bob Pease personally?

RIP

i'm trying to figure out whether or not i did. my grandfather had a friend named Mr Pease, in the Boston area back in the 60's, and Mr Pease would have been in his mid 30's then, and he wore glasses. that was until he got a job out of state and moved. i don't remember exactly when, but the early 70's would be about right. Mr Pease was a ham radio operator, that's how my grandfather knew him. whether that was Bob Pease, i'm really not sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back