Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

And+not=nand gate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huzzi.123

I've been asked to make myself a NAND gate and show it to him. He also told me to use AND gate IC (7408) & NOT GATE IC (7404) to make NAND gate.

Does anyone have an idea to make NAND gate by using AND & NOT gate IC?

What is the difference between an AND gate and a NAND gate?
The output from a NAND gate is the same as the output from an AND gate except it is inverted.

So simply add a logic inverter from a 7404 to the output of an AND gate from a 7408 like this:

As Audioguru said + anything with an N in front means the output is inverted. The same applies to NOR. It's simply an OR with an inverted output using a 7404, CD4069 etc
XNOR also follows the same logic.
The N means NOT and in Boolean logic means the opposite. i.e. what was a 1 becomes a 0 and a 0 becomes a 1 at the output.
A NOT gate simply inverts the signal. There is no such thing as an OT gate other than a buffer or a piece of wire :)

Last edited:
As Audioguru said + anything with an N in front means the output is inverted.
Yea, just add an N will make a off topic post relevant again (NOT) :p

By the way - having a NOT gate in adition will provide both the inverted result and the noninverted result, wich should be paid atention to in order to make complex circuits having less number of logic gates.

One thing to remember is that all of the logic functions can be implemented with a 2 Input NAND gate. Off the top of my head i forget the other gate that can be used by itself.

One thing to remember is that all of the logic functions can be implemented with a 2 Input NAND gate. Off the top of my head i forget the other gate that can be used by itself.

The NOR gate is also an example of universal logic. You can set up a NOR gate the same way as a NAND gate to get equivalent logic circuits.

View attachment 68439View attachment 68440

EDIT: There are images posted above. They just aren't showing up for some reason....

Last edited:
Your attachments work fine but the thumbnails are not showing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back