Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analogue Looping

Status
Not open for further replies.

bssm123

Hey everyone.

I was wondering whether there is a way to loop an analogue signal, for example;
if I had an input signal of constant frequency which lasted for a second or so, is there a way to loop this signal and create a constant output of this signal until a switch breaks the circuit? Or is the only way to do this kind of looping through digital sampling?

Any help would be great.
Thanks!

hi,
You could get these once upon a time.:)

Attachments

• datasheet.pdf
    354.9 KB · Views: 209
As Eric noted, there used to be a way to do that with analog circuits, although the total delay time and duration were rather limited. Now the best way is probably to digitize the audio with an A/D converter and then store it in memory where it can be read back to generate an analog signal with a D/A converter for as long as you need, all done under microprocessor control. Some microprocessors have the A/Ds and D/As built in.

There are VLSIs that do what Carl described.

The analog Bucket Brigade works but with every pass through the noise gets worse and the distortion add up. In 20 passes it will look bad.

Perhaps if you would let us know what you are trying to build we could provide a better solution.

Your post sent my mind back to the days of early computers. One type of memory that stored data as sound in air. I seen one machine by singer. It had a 2 or 3 foot long tube with a speaker on one end and a microphone on the other.

Your post sent my mind back to the days of early computers. One type of memory that stored data as sound in air. I seen one machine by singer. It had a 2 or 3 foot long tube with a speaker on one end and a microphone on the other.
That would give a signal delay of about 2-3ms.

There also are (were) acoustic storage delay lines that use a piezo-electric solid.

I still have some of the bucket brigade ICs somewhere.
Some of the ISD soundrecorder ICs can be looped or put into repeat. I do not know if there is noticeable transition period in the cycle.
Not knowing the application, it may be usefull to download a free signalgenerator and use the soundcard to do the tone. E

Last edited:
so kind of a loop/delay - sample/hold thing?
some people really do prefer the old bucket-brigade over digital chips. i for one.

i think it's possible to get classic BBD chips like the MN3005, MN3007, mn3004 etc.
there have been sellers of 'new-old-stock' and i heard that there were operations in china who were pulling used chips from old karoke machines also.
new or used, i also heard that it's important to go for a trusted source.
it's also important to get the clock-chip for driving them.
they're a bit weird in that they operate from a -15 volt supply.
i think you need to include some way to filter out the sound of the clock.

the MN3204 is 512 stage (short) delay, i guess it's a reissue? digikey lists it at least but i don't know if there's a hefty minimum order there.
i'd imagine that the shorter delay chip is what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back