Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ANALOG VOLTMETER design....NEED HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future engineer

HI, i m doing a analog voltmeter design project..I m using the multiplier resistors model..but my group members discovered there is a weakness which is if one of the resistors spoil,the whole model wont work out..so anyone can give me some clue to solve this problem?thx alot...

Do you mean that a resistor failure will cause the voltmeter to give erroneous readings? A resistor failure will nearly always cause a circuit to malfunction. Otherwise, there would be no need for the resistor.
Perhaps I don't understand what you mean. Post a schematic, with a description of the resistor problem.

Roff said:
Do you mean that a resistor failure will cause the voltmeter to give erroneous readings? A resistor failure will nearly always cause a circuit to malfunction. Otherwise, there would be no need for the resistor.
Perhaps I don't understand what you mean. Post a schematic, with a description of the resistor problem.

First,I would like to thank u for ur help.The multiplier diagram is inside the link below.I know wat u mean and thats why i m asking for help how to modify my circuit so that in case if there is one resistor malfunc..Thx
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/02/DC-1.pdf

Future engineer said:
First,I would like to thank u for ur help.The multiplier diagram is inside the link below.I know wat u mean and thats why i m asking for help how to modify my circuit so that in case if there is one resistor malfunc..Thx
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/02/DC-2.pdf

The answer is already there - use the previous diagram.

But even the one with the resistors in series is VERY, VERY unlikely to suffer from a resistor failure - and if it does, it's almost certainly because you've seriously abused it, and the meter movement is likely to be destroyed as well.

Future engineer said:
Thx alot..but one thing is in the real world we cant get the value of the shunt resistors,so how?

Either make them from series/parallel combinations, or have them specially made (expensive!).

Or just use the alternative circuit with the more common values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back