Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analog-to-digital converter ADC0804LCN connections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

I have found a ADC-chip ADC0804LCN, which I want to use. I just have to confirm with some experts in this area, if my connections is correct - or incorrect. Here's the most importent connections:

PIN DESCRIPTION CONNECTED
6 Vin (+) Voltage to convert
7 Vin (-) Ground
8 AGND Ground
9 Vref/2 NC
10 DGND Ground

I would also like to get explained, what PIN 1,2,3,5 is for?

Thanks

This IC is primarily designed for use with a microcontroller or microprocessor system. You can use it as standalone, but you have to connect your control pins properly otherwise it wont work - it'll just sit there and do nothing. Take a look at the data sheet, the timing diagrams are on there and it should then be clear what you need to do. I say "should" because if you don't have much experience with deciphering timing diagrams it can be a little confusing.

If you're still stuck after that, post a link to the datasheet here, I'll take a look at it and then I'll tell you how to make it work as a standalone item.

The reason I say for you to make the effort first is because otherwise you won't learn anything from it ;)

Brian

Hi all, I'm trying to build a standalone circuit using the ADC0804LCN chip... but most online sites used a microprocessor with it, but i don't really know how to hook 1 up. heres the situation:

1/ i have an analog voltage output from accelerometers chips ADXL311JE
http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/39398238692761ADXL311_a.pdf#search="adxl311je"

2/ i wanna read the voltage output from the chips in digital format... preferably on the comp (but i have no idea how to interface that), or any other method (i.e. LCD screens)

the data sheet for the ADC chip is listed below:
**broken link removed**

thanks for all the help... :confused:

to connect the IC as a standalone you could connect pins 3 & 5 together, that is the Start-Conversion pin and the End-Of-Conversion pins; in this way any time conversion is over another conversion starts. Pin 1 is chip select I think and should be grounded, Pin 2 also is grounded, can't remember much what its use is.

anyway checking a datasheet should be ones first task whenever encountering a new IC/device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back