Analog-to-digital converter ADC0804LCN connections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

I have found a ADC-chip ADC0804LCN, which I want to use. I just have to confirm with some experts in this area, if my connections is correct - or incorrect. Here's the most importent connections:

PIN DESCRIPTION CONNECTED
6 Vin (+) Voltage to convert
7 Vin (-) Ground
8 AGND Ground
9 Vref/2 NC
10 DGND Ground

I would also like to get explained, what PIN 1,2,3,5 is for?

Thanks

This IC is primarily designed for use with a microcontroller or microprocessor system. You can use it as standalone, but you have to connect your control pins properly otherwise it wont work - it'll just sit there and do nothing. Take a look at the data sheet, the timing diagrams are on there and it should then be clear what you need to do. I say "should" because if you don't have much experience with deciphering timing diagrams it can be a little confusing.

If you're still stuck after that, post a link to the datasheet here, I'll take a look at it and then I'll tell you how to make it work as a standalone item.

The reason I say for you to make the effort first is because otherwise you won't learn anything from it

Brian

Hi all, I'm trying to build a standalone circuit using the ADC0804LCN chip... but most online sites used a microprocessor with it, but i don't really know how to hook 1 up. heres the situation:

1/ i have an analog voltage output from accelerometers chips ADXL311JE
http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/39398238692761ADXL311_a.pdf#search="adxl311je"

2/ i wanna read the voltage output from the chips in digital format... preferably on the comp (but i have no idea how to interface that), or any other method (i.e. LCD screens)

the data sheet for the ADC chip is listed below:
**broken link removed**

thanks for all the help...

to connect the IC as a standalone you could connect pins 3 & 5 together, that is the Start-Conversion pin and the End-Of-Conversion pins; in this way any time conversion is over another conversion starts. Pin 1 is chip select I think and should be grounded, Pin 2 also is grounded, can't remember much what its use is.

anyway checking a datasheet should be ones first task whenever encountering a new IC/device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…