Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

analog linear power

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolnessItself

Hi all,
I'm new around here, and not very good with electronics, so I'm basically looking for something to get me headed in the right direction for what I need to make. I'm looking for a way to make a fairly-efficient voltage source with linearly increasing power. It can't have any digital components (being used in a lab that's free of digital signals). Basically some kind of knob to increase the power delivered to a load linearly, with a needle dial for voltage. What's the simplest way of doing this? I thought of some kind of current feedback system to get an I^2 but that might be kind of complex. Or maybe this is already done and there's even a schematic somewhere! It'll be connected to batteries that are ~200A-hr.
Someone suggested I use https://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/8619/NSC/LM317.html
in which case, what would I do? Should I change the voltage to the adjustment pin based on what is left over after it passes through the load?

Build the circuit on the datasheet.

Look up ohms law, if the voltage is doubled the power quadruples, here's the formula:

[latex]P= \frac{V^2}{R}[/latex]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back