Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

analog fan control

Status
Not open for further replies.

edg123

I am trying to build a device that is based on adjusting the speed of dc fans. First I tried using a prewritten PIC program, but this failed, and I do not know enough C coding to program an AVR chip, which I could get some help with.

Now I want to make a purely analog device. I am thinking of using an LM317 variable voltage regulator, and a potmeter. (and of course various diodes, resistors and capacitors) I have a transformer that provides 18VAC. My fans can operate from 4-12VDC, possibly slightly higher. What I need is a way to make a cutoff switch off power at 4V, to protect the motors. I am thinking of using a zener diode and a transistor to block anything below 4V. Does anyone know if this will work? how should I wire it? what rating should I use for the components?

My basic design works without the low voltage switch.

will this design work? I might add a few capacitors to smooth out the power.

possibly regulate the voltage from about 25V down to maybe 15

if the basic design is appears good, I can experiment a little to find the needed rating of the components.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back