Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

analog effects for guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

the cracken

im trying to make an analog effects pedal. specifically a delay pedal. so iv bought two tape player/recorder's. i need to make a preamplifier, although i have made valve amps and pre amplifiers before with op amps iv never had to amplify such a small signal. i think the signal is around 1µv. any suggestions would be appreciated!

To change the delay time im going to have one of the two heads adjustable to make the distance between the heads longer. with the cheapo recorders i go the erase head is just a magnet. i am also thinking of making it so that i can use the tape in the forward and backward direction but this would complicate things and i think i would need to mechanically move the eraser head.

does anyone have any ideas on the voltage going to a recording head??
thanks!!!

Use the existing recorder circuitry for both record and playback, it's pointless trying to recreate all of the circuitry - don't forget you need bias as well.

The classic tape echo unit was the Watkins CopyCat - I repaired loads of them back in the early 70's before they pretty well died out - because semiconductor echo units replaced them.

i took a brief look at the circuitry and theres lots of it. im not using a old tap player/recorder im using a "new" compact cassette player. and do you have any idea of the voltage that is sent to the head to record?
thanks for the help

Last edited:
i took a brief look at the circuitry and theres lots of it. im not using a old tap player/recorder im using a "new" compact cassette player. and do you have any idea of the voltage that is sent to the head to record?
thanks for the help

It's fairly low, only a few hundred millivolts, superimposed on 90V or so of bias - depending on design, head type, and tape type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back