Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

An open letter to the Owners of ETO concerning Moderator civility ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboybob

Most Helpful Member
Of course I can, with the conditions that the amp is very heavy and the music is by Frank Zappa.
Sorry, but I think you're talking complete rubbish :D
Sorry, I'm doing my best to fit in.
Despite the "Happy Face" in Nigel Goodwin's post, as you can see, a new member is trashed (no pun intended) by a Moderator and feels the need to apologize for a post that, best I can tell, was pure jest within the context of the thread.

This is not an isolated incident by this particular moderator.

Now, by this post, I am convinced that I will now suffer reprisals for having the gall to bring the subject up.

So, armed with a sense on impending doom, I will state unequivocally, that I am sick and tired of ANY moderator but in particular THIS moderator, given their elevated status and therefore import, responding to anyone, especially to new members, with their inappropriate rapier wit and ill bred behavior. It is extraordinarily off-putting and utterly demeans the quality of this site.

Do you have a policy, of any kind at all, concerning moderator behavior of this sort?

That's ok, he trashes Old Timers with equal ferocity.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention cowboybob. I have brought it up with the other moderators. If you ask me, mods should follow the same rules regarding behavior as any other member.

Matt

Is it possible for me to see the entire "Thread" or has it been deleted? I can't find this post in our search bar nor anything at all on the new members posts

That's ok, he trashes Old Timers with equal ferocity.
Well, that is my point.

Crude asides that denigrate rather than enlighten have no place in polite conversation.

My primary point is: why is it tolerated? Is Nigel too important to ETO?

Which leads me to ask: at what point in my membership may I, too, become rude, crude and spout inappropriate aspersions?

Well, that is my point.

Crude asides that denigrate rather than enlighten have no place in polite conversation.

My primary point is: why is it tolerated? Is Nigel too important to ETO?

Which leads me to ask: at what point in my membership may I, too, become rude, crude and spout inappropriate aspersions?

You mean you're not been? :D

I suggest you try looking up the usage of emoticons, and there was nothing 'rude', crude, or inappropriate about my post - and if you consider my response was to something posted as 'jest' then that too should have used emoticons to signify it as such.

I think a different picture is gained by reviewing the whole thread.

coyboybob said:

I didn't find Nigel's comment the least bit crude or denigrating. His comment was in response to this comment by moty22:

moty22 said:
Of course I can [provide scientific evidence], with the conditions that the amp is very heavy and the music is by Frank Zappa.

Nigel's request for evidence did not seem to be in jest, nor was it out of place in that discussion. To brush off such a request as a joke is poor manners, if not outright rude. When called out on that, moty22's excuse was he was just trying to fit in.

Moty22 certainly has the right to an opinion, but that does not make his opinion right. Nigel has a great deal of experience and expertise in audio equipment and had every reason to ask moty22 for data to support his claim.

John

While a little abrupt it seems fine to me.

Nigel reminds me of a member on the Piclist who is sadly no long posting - he used to say it how it was and had no time for nonsense posts (for those who may remember it was Olin !)

I read along as the thread was actively growing, and have just re-read it. I thought that the myth was generally debunked very quickly and folks began having fun with it, including moty22 him/ herself. Yes, I agree that Nigel's post was a bit of a quip, but no more so than would have been said in the pub down the street had the topic been openly discussed there over a beer :)

I think when anyone comes to an open forum with ideas that are on the edge of possibility, like the one in the thread in question, it's fair game for others to offer opinions, be they ones discounting the idea, or supporting it. The only thing that I would say that could be seen as unfair treatment of a member, would be for someone to take advantage of any language barrier that exists, however, that doesn't seem to be the case here, not in my opinion anyway.

When Nigel, or indeed any other Moderator for that matter posts and actively takes part in threads, they are doing so as individuals with a voice and experience to share. When they are taking part in threads as a Moderator, and they have to sometimes otherwise chaos would ensue, they make it pretty clear that's what's happening. There's no power or import implied at any other time as far as I can see, other than that I value their opinion and experience as I do the other members here, new or otherwise :)

There are 5 posts supporting Nigel and only one against him; clear win for Nigel.
When Nigel said that I was talking rubbish he was right, my intention was to talk rubbish to him because I didn't feel the need to supply him with explanation. I was fitting myself in with the rest answering the OP with silly humor. Why didn't ask the others for a proof?!

In fact what Nigel did in that thread is the same he does in most threads he gets involved. He offers help very rarely, in most threads he starts a long argument with one of the experts and changes the topic to suit his argument.
Often he gets into a thread and spoils the flow of it. If an expert deviates for a moment from the topic it can be for the purpose of creating forum feeling as opposed to school rigidity.
I can point at threads that he behaved like a bully and scared the new member never to return.
Nigel isn't exactly a moderator of a free forum he is more like a policeman.
If you want proof to my claims read several of his posts.

Nigel has very low ratio of likes to posts, he gets 1 like for every 80 posts, some experts get 1 like to every 3 posts. His knowledge and experience are wasted on arguments and policing. He rewards others with likes only twice a year because he rarely likes what we post.
Some members think that we need forum police otherwise there will be chaos. I'm 62 (one of the youngest), I know when to tell a joke and when to teach, I don't need a policeman to tell me what to say. I read the rules and I know how to follow them and how to bend them.

Last edited:
moty22, I agree. 67 in a few days (how did that happen :woot:).

Nigel, an emoticon does not somehow "cleanse" a written expression of derision. How do you accomplish that with those you talk to?

An opinion of the worth of a poster's contribution, rather than a reasoned argument for or against it, for all to assess, is completely and always inappropriate.

Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong, or even misguided, but spare me your acid tongue. It is not even remotely amusing.

Surely if it were coming down to the number of likes one receives, I should be giving up posting right now. In fact, that probably rules out about 80% of the membership from posting, at a guess, if we are judging them unfit to post based on ratios of "likes" to posts. 5 posts in support and only 1 against? Of what exactly? Nigel's opinion or his personality or his way with words? I didn't know we were voting with our opinions or being judged on the way we talk now, or for that matter, did I even remotely look at this as any sort of competition or battle to win. Personally I could care less about who "likes" my posts, if someone out there finds them useful or helpful on some level, then I feel that I have achieved my objective, which is, like most folks here I suspect, to learn new stuff and share what I have learned with a little good humoured fun thrown in along the way. Anything beyond that is usually a bonus, except this, which is yet another sideshow. If anyone here truly has a genuine gripe about another members conduct here, contacting the site staff about it is merely a click or two away. Bringing this into the public domain for everyone to freely make comment on is nothing more than a cheap heckle. So who, really, is being derisive here? Is this in support of Nigel? Perhaps it is this time, I don't think he actually done anything that any of us wouldn't have done or in fact do, in person, in a public setting, face to face. Had I chosen to take part in that particular thread myself, I may well have said the same thing about the subject, but Nigel beat me to it :)

I suggest you try looking up the usage of emoticons, and there was nothing 'rude', crude, or inappropriate about my post - and if you consider my response was to something posted as 'jest' then that too should have used emoticons to signify it as such.
I don't like using emotions... I have now and again, but on the whole I don't..

Miss conception... " I think you are all useless gits :D".. Just because there is a cheeky grin at the end, doesn't make it alright to voice.... It's like hiding behind a keyboard... Reminds me of the under-endowed car drivers (you know who I mean ) demanding their place on the road...

Anywho!! I think a line should be drawn under all this and lets move on.....

Hi,
I don't think Nigel was rude in anyway.
I am sure he says what many of us are thinking when we read some of these inaccurate and nonsensical posts.

He has at least the gonads to say what is on his mind, he has my respect and continued support.:cool:

Eric

Thanks to all.

_____________________________________________________ :banghead:

I had a long post going that I deleted. Normally I put balls to the wall and take sides. Not this time :confused:

You are both way too valuable here. And whatever I could/would say would just make things worse. Two good people having a disagreement and the third wheel (me) acts the judge...nah. Will not end well. I respect both of you Bob and Nigel. Sort it out yourselves guys.

Neither of you have ever been nasty to me here. Ever.

I have finally grown up.

Regards,
tv

Putting a childish picture at the end of an impolite comment does not make it right . Just try to remain civil and on a level with your members.

I often contemplate the Magistrates who are on salaries of millions who are asked to judge paupers who live on a few hundred dollars a week. It is impossible in my opinion for them to be in any way appreciative of the pauper's plight

Putting a childish picture at the end of an impolite comment does not make it right . Just try to remain civil and on a level with your members.

Again, I suggest you try reading about emoticons, and their use in electronic communications - but even without the smiley there was nothing at all rude in what I posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back