Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

An observation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

_3iMaJ

Something you take as intuitivly obvious really isn't that obvious at all...

A friend of mine and I were talking about solving for mesh currents (in a completely resistive circuit) VIA using a matrix. Now its routinely taken for granted that this matrix is invertable (IE non-singular). However, this is not intuitivly obvious. I was wondering if someone could show for the NxN case that the matrix MUST be non-singular, also would it then be positive definite? I believe that it is not only non-singular but it must also be positive definite...

I've shown for the 2x2 case that it MUST be non-singular, however I haven't found a way to show it generally. I'm still thinking about it though... :?

_3iMaJ said:
Something you take as intuitivly obvious really isn't that obvious at all...

A friend of mine and I were talking about solving for mesh currents (in a completely resistive circuit) VIA using a matrix. Now its routinely taken for granted that this matrix is invertable (IE non-singular). However, this is not intuitivly obvious. I was wondering if someone could show for the NxN case that the matrix MUST be non-singular, also would it then be positive definite? I believe that it is not only non-singular but it must also be positive definite...

I've shown for the 2x2 case that it MUST be non-singular, however I haven't found a way to show it generally. I'm still thinking about it though... :?

If you've shown it for the 2x2 case, use method of induction to prove NxN case.

I considered that, however the determinant for a 2x2 matrix is very easy to solve for, anything larger than that and it gets difficult quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back