Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

An inverter from a 12v batt to 120v portable power

Status
Not open for further replies.

huricaine

I live in America where AC mains is 60hz, 120v.

I work at an industrial production plant where I push my tools around on a push cart.

I have a small 12v battery the size if a scooter battery which is strong enough to start a car.

I want to create an "inverter" circuit to give me 120v from the batt.

What I need help on: I need to choose an oscillator circuit/IC to create the 60hz ac signal. From there I can either boost the voltage with a discreet voltage amplifier and also a current buffer for power transformation. Or I can use a transformer for the voltage AND current amplification which would be so much easier but I think I may want to make it smaller with an SMPS power supply to boost voltage then a parallel transistor current amp(voltage follower).

What do you all think and can you help me on designing any of it? The oscillator can be very simple.

Well yesterday I bought an 800VA transformer that will step up 12 to 120v. I got it for $80.

Then I plan on making a simple wein bridge oscillator and driving a voltage follower(pushpull) to buffer the oscillator signal going to the transformer primary. Should be simple. I have all the parts I need and I will be able to produce a decent amount of power.

Shoot I just remembered, with 12v from a battery I will only be able to swing about 5v RMS...The transformers I use always amplify a bit more but I'd need to swing as close to rail as possible so maybe I should use a rail to rail opamp in my oscillator

800VA/12V = 66A. That's going to be one helluva voltage follower ;).

Yea 60 -80A I have many large transistors....I deal with caraudio amplifiers that draw upto 200 - 300A...I need to use them in parallel.

About the voltage, I have 4 12v output on the transformer that I was going to put in parallel but instead I can place two sets in series for twice the step up so 5vrms x 10x step up is 50v when doubled will be 100v but like I said these trannies produce more voltage step up then they are rated.

Yea 60 -80A I have many large transistors....I deal with caraudio amplifiers that draw upto 200 - 300A...I need to use them in parallel.

About the voltage, I have 4 12v output on the transformer that I was going to put in parallel but instead I can place two sets in series for twice the step up so 5vrms x 10x step up is 50v when doubled will be 100v but like I said these trannies produce more voltage step up then they are rated.

Well if you are anywhere near NE Ohio (Cleveland) just come on over and I'll give you a pile of UPS inverters. 800 watts to 1.5 KW and some smaller. Keep in mind that many of these devices do not output a 60 Hz sine wave but a modified sine wave. Just scroll down to "Do I need Modified Sine Wave, or Pure Sine Wave"? Also you need to consider that an 800 watt inverter when powered by 12 volts under a full load will draw over 66 Amps and after efficiency is figured in over likely 70 Amps so I hope you have a real big battery. Heck, could have saved you the $80 you spent on a transformer as all the units I mentioned have transformers.

Ron

I live in California. It sounds like a good idea to buy one or get one already made like everyone suggest(car inverters are perfect and use smps!) however I wanted build one myself...

As far as battery capacity issues, I also want to implement a smart charger built in so I can charge it whenever I'm near an outlet. Light loads of a few amps won't drain it too quickly.

I live in California. It sounds like a good idea to buy one or get one already made like everyone suggest(car inverters are perfect and use smps!) however I wanted build one myself...

As far as battery capacity issues, I also want to implement a smart charger built in so I can charge it whenever I'm near an outlet. Light loads of a few amps won't drain it too quickly.

While I can appreciate the enthusiasm, believe me these are one of those things that are better bought than built. The basic inverters made for automotive use are really a good deal overall.

Ron

Putting two 12V windings in series (making a 24V winding) will produce half the step-up, not twice.

Well yesterday I bought an 800VA transformer that will step up 12 to 120v. I got it for $80.

Well unfortunately now a days for half that price you could have bought a name brand 1 KW+ power inverter and been done with it.

Shoot I just remembered, with 12v from a battery I will only be able to swing about 5v RMS..

What? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back