Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

An electronics nut with a clean workbench...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed - my workbench is so messy I've decided to extend the workshop so I can have more workbench space ......

i'm in the midst of building a workbench in my garage. its not complete yet but there is stuff all over it already

It's funny when I get hungry too, theres cups and plates with wires on and in them, quite a scene. I must say though it is so relieving to finish that project and have a clean desk to start the next one :)

Hail messy desks!

Mike

Clean workbench

"A clean workbench is the sign of a sick mind":p:D

"A clean workbench is the sign of a sick mind":p:D

Who told you that?

There are two words to use with a workbench. They are "clean" and "tidy".

Although a workbench might look untidy it should be clean.

Not mine!
Clean and tidy screws up the whole creating process.
It wastes too much time.
All that putting things away and then just bringing them back out again is a total waste of energy and time.
I shoot for maximum efficiency of work. Measure how much time you spend taking out and putting away stuff when your doing something. It adds up and thats a waist of efficiency.
Neat and tidy just pisses me off! And I cant work properly when I am upset. If I know what it was last used for then I know were it will be.

Not mine!
Clean and tidy screws up the whole creating process.

:D:D Wait until your first circuit goes up in flames being powered on top of a pair of pliers.

Having a well organized messed up working bench won't screw up the creating process. :)

It's funny how people who don't do electroncs always make strange assumptions about how neat and tidy everything should be.

The one that pisses me off the most is this concept of a separate "lab" where you are suppose to go do your electronics, then return to your office to look up spec sheets, design PC boards, write code, etc. WTF?

That occured to me as well when my basement computer died on me and my new one is in my room...I'm thinking I might have to get a netbook or something. Not so much for the schematic capture and PCB layout, but for the referencing and debugging of code.

Last edited:
love my laptop just for that purpose! Its portable and can sit right on top of my junk!

I'm waiting for netbooks to gain a few more features mainly lower power usage (while staying at the same price) and they will eventually, one of the few expanding sections of the PC industry. DK, either buy the cheapest netbook that has the basic features you need or wait as long as you can, you'll see new devices every few months now.

Yeah, I just need something that can browse, display PDF files, run capture/layout, cross-compilers. That's why I just keep putting it off until I absolutely get down to coding for a big project. I've kind of gotten used to doing layout and compiling on dual monitors though. I'm not entirely sure there are any netbooks that could feed out to two external monitors, and those two monitors would cost more than the netbook!

Playing movies would be nice while I work, but I'd amost have to certainly rely on my external HD for that kind of thing.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure there are any netbooks that could feed out to two external monitors, and those two monitors would cost more than the netbook!

Your an electronics guy. Buy up a set of big ones on eBay, I did.
I have two 30 inch Commercial grade HD LCD monitors on my main system right now. They retail around $4200 new. I got both with shipping for $285! And fixed both in about 15 minutes each!:)

5 feet of HD LCD man! 5 Feet! :D
Thats my 17 inch laptop infront of them. It looks so tiny.:p

I hear many notebooks can run a dual monitor cards now.

Attachments

• DCP01285.JPG
    DCP01285.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 208
5 feed of HD LCD's and the first thing I noticed was the tater tots... mmmm tater tots.

Luv dem taters. hmm mm. :D

Well my bench is tot free but still, somehow, I manage to get some work done.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back