Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amps in a Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

silegnav

I have three questions:

1) How one can determine the amount amps in a battery?

2) If one has a pinhole camera and consumes 400mW, how many hours can this camera consumes from a 9V battery?

3) Is there a better way how to understand the connection between volts, wattage and amps?

I am new to electronics. Thanks.

:)

Battery capacity is rated in Ah (Amps x hours) or mAh (mA x hours). To find out the rating of your battery, look it up at the manufacture's web site. For example, look here

P = IE or I =P/E

If your camera requires 400mW at 9V, that means the current is I = P/E = 0.4/9 = 44mA.

At 44mA, the Energizer 522 I referenced above will have a capacity of ~500mAh, so would run your camera for 500mAh/44mA = 11.36h. Note that at the 11h point, the battery voltage will much less than 9V...

I bought a battery 12V 2.8 Ah - Lead Acid. I also purchase a charger. I had to charge the battery for 12 hours to increase the Amps. The battery before charge had a voltage of 12V. Why did I have to charge the battery when the battery was already charged?

The charger has the below information which you can also explain please.

**broken link removed**

Lead Acid (SLA) batteries have a fairly flat discharge curve. It is difficult to measure the state of charge by measuring the terminal voltage. The maker ships the battery uncharged, and expects you to charge it before putting it in service.

Your charger is capable of charging the battery to 13.8V, at a peak charge current of ~1A. It will only take that charger about 3-4h to bring a 2.8Ah SLA to full charge.

Read this:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back