Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amplitude Modulating with Quadrature Modulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

onecard

Hi,

I need help in doing amplitude modulation with a quadrature modulator component.

I want to create a modulated signal with a 10kHz signal + 2.4GHz carrier frequency (I've found a chip to generate the 2.4GHz). I was looking on digikey for a modulator and most of the results I get give me quadrature modulators (e.g. https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/04/AD8346.pdf).

I don't have extensive knowledge in signal stuff and this is what I'm seeing so far for the quadrature modulator: Is the I and Q inputs for the 2 signals I want to modulate? If I just want AM, what would I put into the LO input of the component?

I'm sorry, I've read the spec sheet and googled how quadrature works, but it's going over my head. If someone can give me a simple explanation, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advanced!

Normally quadrature modulation uses both the I and Q inputs. Why do you want to use that type of modulation if you are only transmitting one signal? What is going to receive and detect this signal?

The receiver is pretty much an envelope detector to get rid of the 2.4GHz carrier frequency and leave me with my 10kHz signal.

I searched digikey for modulators and only found quadrature modulators for the frequency I wanted. I just need to AM my 10kHz signal, am I looking at the wrong component?

What are you really trying to do?
Yes, OK I know you think you want to amplitude modulate a 2.4Ghz carrier, but why?
And why 2.4Ghz? While there is a lot of stuff which works at these frequencies, it is not a trivial task to get it working correctly, if at all.

JimB

I want to create a transmitter that can send an encoded signal to trigger a receiver (a few feet away) to start executing a set of instructions. I chose 2.4GHz because I was thinking of using antennas from routers (I assumed I needed a 2.4GHz signal for the antennas to detect). It won't be transmitted over a wide range and the power output will be well below regulations.

Is this a bad idea? I'm sorry if it's still vague.

I suggest that you look at low power licence free modules such as those in the link here:

Radiometrix | TX2A

I am sure that if you look hard enough you will find some which are much cheaper (may be not as good a performance but cheaper).

So much easier than trying to build something at 2.4Ghz, especially as you appear to have no experience in this area.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back