Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

amplifier problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rence00019

i need some help regarding to my speaker with amplifier. the main speaker with amplifier was function normally. but if i connect other speaker. the speaker that i connect to the main speaker was not function or have no audio. how to troubleshoot that kind of problem? please response. thanks

Hi rence
welcome to the forums :)

that doesnt really make sense
explain more clearly what you were trying to achieve
is the second spaker faulty maybe ??

Dave

Are you connecting the speakers in series or in parallel? Neither is ideal, as the amplifier is probably intended to drive a particular impedance (that of the main speaker). What are the impedances of the speakers?

try connecting the speaker to a 9V battery, you should hear a pop when the connection is made, and another pop when you disconnect it. a 9V battery won't damage the speaker, as it can only source about 100mA. if you hear nothing, the speaker is bad. if you only hear a tiny crackle, the woofer is bad but the tweeter is working (assuming a 2-way speaker with a woofer and a tweeter). if the speaker wires connect to the speaker with the usual spring clips, make sure there's no wire insulation pinched in the spring clips. there should be about 1/16" (or between 1 and 2mm) of bare wire showing outside the spring clip with nothing but bare wire inside the spring clip. i often see this problem with speaker wire that has clear plastic insulation, since people just put the wires into the spring clips, and don't notice that some of the clear insulation is pinched inside the clip.

most modern solid state amps will drive a 4 ohm speaker as well as an 8 or 16 ohm speaker without much of a problem. however, if the amp is designed for 8 ohm loads, and the speaker is 4 ohms (or two 8 ohm speakers in parallel), the protection circuits will detect the excess current when the volume is turned up, and shut down the amp. putting a 16 ohm load (two 8 ohm speakers in series) on an amp designed for an 8 ohm load won't cause any problems at all (but reduces the actual output power by half). if it's a tube amp, you have specific taps on the output transformer for various impedances, and you should not parallel or series connect any speakers here. tube amps also can be damaged by running into an open circuit load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back