Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amplifier overheating, Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOL_PWND

ELLO! :D

Anyway YEAH so, I'm trying to drive two 3.2 ohm speakers with two 9V batteries, but the Amplifiers keep overheating

I'm using two JRC 2073D's. Any suggestions for a better amplifier that could handle this without getting ungodly hott?

Thank you~

It would really help people help you if you posted a schematic or at least a datasheet. Is this the part you are using?

Attachments

• NJM2073.pdf
    396.6 KB · Views: 293
I'm sorry! T -T I'm new to this forum.

Thank you for replying though! ;D

And yeah, thats the chip alright, it doesn't seem to be taking to 9V very well... ):

I'm sorry! T -T I'm new to this forum.

Thank you for replying though! ;D

And yeah, thats the chip alright, it doesn't seem to be taking to 9V very well... ):

No problem. Welcome to the forum. It's very difficult to say what would work best without knowing what circuit it's going into. That's why a schematic would be very helpful. You said that you are using two 9V batteries. Are they arranged in series or in parallel? If they are arranged in series then that's 18V which is 3V higher than the maximum allowed 15V according to the datasheet. Also, have you measured to see how much current is being drawn from the IC?

I wish I could put up a schematic real quick but I don't have Circuit Design Suite or anything on me right now. @___@ Gotta wait till I get back to Purdue for that. x -x

And yeah, that is 18V, hm, that would explain why it burns my fingers off when I touch it.
So an LM386 would work better then? The datasheet says the absolute Max is 22V

I wish I could put up a schematic real quick but I don't have Circuit Design Suite or anything on me right now. @___@ Gotta wait till I get back to Purdue for that. x -x

And yeah, that is 18V, hm, that would explain why it burns my fingers off when I touch it.
So an LM386 would work better then? The datasheet says the absolute Max is 22V

Again, it is difficult if not impossible to recommend which IC you should be using without knowing anything about the circuit it will be used in but I can say that in general, components work better when they aren't used above their absolute maximum ratings. You can either reduce the supply voltage to 15V or less and keep your current IC or replace it with one that will work at 18V. If you're dead set on using 18V, and if the LM386 datasheet says it's OK up to 22V, then from a supply voltage stand point alone, the LM386 is a better choice over the JRC2073D. But, there are often more factors to consider than just the supply voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back