Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amplifier For GPS Reciever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny 5

Could anyone please give me some help I'm doing my final year project and I am finding it extremely difficult. The following is a copy of my control sheet for said project.

Project Title: Design of an Amplifier for GPS Receiver

Project Objective: To design a narrowband amplifier for the GPS band based on the S-parameters of the transistor and with the aid of microwave circuit simulator.

Project Marking Guidelines:

Pass: Design a lumped element amplifier circuit for the specific gain and input and output VSWR, which includes proper matching and biasing networks.
Merit 2: Investigation of possible improvements in: bandwidth, gain, VSWR and stability.
Merit 1: Transition of the lumped element amplifier into the real element counterpart with the utilization of the off shelf components.
Distinction: Transition to the distributed element amplifier.

Equipment: PC and microwave circuit simulator – Microwave Office
Components (Non Standard): None

Anyhelp would be Hugely apptreciated.
Thanks in advance,
John.

OK,

What part of the project specification don't you understand?

JimB

To be perfectly honest I don't understand the relationship between what is being asked for. If there was a way to put it in plain english and then maybe start from the start with what would need to be done, that would be fantastic. I have picked out a transistor which I think should be ok to use.

What transistor have you selected?
What was the basis for your selection?

JimB

It had to have a high gain and a low noise figure and work in the frequency range of 1 to 5 GHz.
I selected the Agilent Technologies ATF-35143 in a surface mount plastic package.

I'm sorry but I'm lost and I don't understand. Also how do smith charts and matching networks tie in with this?

At this point I must ask, you are doing this as a university (?) final project.
Have you not done anything on:
RF amplifier design
Impedance matching
Transmission lines
during the course?

If not, it may be a bit late now.

If I were doing this project, the steps I would take are:

Find the frequency I need to amplify.
Select a suitable transistor.
Decide the source and load impedances.
Design the bias circuit.
Design input and output matching networks (tuned circuits?) which will pass my required frequency and match the load and source impedances to the transistor.
Build and test it.
If it does not work, find out why and repeat the steps required to make it work.

JimB

Yes, I'm embarassed to admit, I am in college and while we have covered a small amount of material on transmission lines and on Impedance matching, we've done no RF Amp design!?!?
Thank you for your help, it is very much appreciated.

So how did you get stuck with a project like this?

At first sight it should be quick and easy, just a dozen components or so.
But to get a good performance from an RF amplifier at these frequencies is not trivial.

JimB

That's something I've been asking myself and I have yet to come up with an answer. I've just spent the last hour and a half with my project supervisor and While it was helpful I still don't fully understand. Oh well thank you again for your time and patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back