Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amplification 555 timer circuit output current

Status
Not open for further replies.

paaghi

I'm going to design a 555 timer circuit in order to make an LED blinking at the frequency of about 100Hz and 10% duty cycle. But the problem is that the 555 IC provide a low output current (a few hundreds mA) while my LED is a high power LED (>1A). I think one solution is using an SSR (Solid State Relay) but they seems expensive for my project (around 40 bucks I think). Any other idea? (I'm a newbie to electronic stuff!)

Last edited:
I'm going to design a 555 timer circuit in order to make an LED blinking at the frequency of about 100Hz and 10% duty cycle. But the problem is that the 555 IC provide a low output current (a few hundreds mA) while my LED is a high power LED (>1A). I think one solution is using an SSR (Solid State Relay) but they seems expensive for my project (around 40 bucks I think). Any other idea? (I'm a newbie to electronic stuff!)

hi,
What supply voltage is powering the 555 and Power LED.?

I think the most high power LEDs are 12V (I haven't bought the LED yet) and my power supply can supply up to 12V.

hi,
A supply of 12V to the 555 should enable you switch a N MOSFET transistor with the output of the 555 OK.

Use a N MOSFET that has a Drain current of approx 3 Amps and a Gate ON voltage of approx 5V.

When you know the current required by the LED you can calculate the series resistor.

Let us know the LED specification.

hi,
A supply of 12V to the 555 should enable you switch a N MOSFET transistor with the output of the 555 OK.

Use a N MOSFET that has a Drain current of approx 3 Amps and a Gate ON voltage of approx 5V.

When you know the current required by the LED you can calculate the series resistor.

Let us know the LED specification.

I remember I've seen 12Volt-3Watt LEDs. Let's say if I (for example) connect 6 LEDs in parallel, my maximum LEDs current would be 1.5A (6*3/12=1.5).
I would appreciate it very much if you tell me what transistor I need to buy exactly, and lead me to a link for the schematic circuit.
Thank you.

*Update: I found this. Do you approve it?

Last edited:
I remember I've seen 12Volt-3Watt LEDs. Let's say if I (for example) connect 6 LEDs in parallel, my maximum LEDs current would be 1.5A (6*3/12=1.5).
I would appreciate it very much if you tell me what transistor I need to buy exactly, and lead me to a link for the schematic circuit.
Thank you.

*Update: I found this. Do you approve it?

hi,
That circuit will only provide 0.2A and as the author says, will get hot.

Post a link or datasheet for the 12V 0.25A LED, so that we can see if it requires a series current limiting resistor, most do.

When I see the data I will draw out a circuit diagram for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back