Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AMP Keeps blowing Fuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

raskits

I have been using my butkicker Gamer for awhile and never had problems. If you guys dont know what is a buttkicker, it is a transducer that cause vibrations to make movies, games,music more immersive. Today i bought a RCA Y-splitter to put in the buttkicker amp so i dont have to keep switching the cable in the back of the amp when using it in for my cable box or computer.

It worked for about 20 minutes till the Buttkicker AMP just stopped working. Checked the fuse and it was blown.
Relieved that it was just a fuse i put in the spare that came with the amp. After plugin it in again, it was the same problem, it would not turn on. Checked the fuse again and the reserved fuse is also blown.

Can it be the Y splitter? a defective fuse? a short in the amp?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Also what kind of tools do i need to check if there is a short?

Last edited:
If the second fuse was damaged immediately, one of the output devices is damaged.
You have to find out if a transistor or FET is in the output.

What do you mean output device? the tranducer (sub) or the cable box?

I dont think there is any transistors or FET in the buttkicker sub. But i am sure there are transistors in the amp itself.

Most likely it is a transistor somewhere. How much do transistors or FET usually cost? and what equipment would I need to use to see if they are dead?

Last edited:
Open up the amplifier and look for metal things bolted to a heatsink. Let us know if you can read the numbers on them.

Here i provided a pic

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

They are next to the aluminium thing. They should be touching or bolted to the aluminium heatsink. Are they actually TOUCHING it?
It looks like TIP142 NPN and TIP147 PNP Darlington power transistors.

Last edited:
Both transistors in the first and second pic are defenitely touching the sink and are bolted. In the first picture what are the two small things next to the transistor?
As you can see the middle one is not touching the heatsink should that be touching the heatsink?

Both transistors in the first and second pic are defenitely touching the sink and are bolted. In the first picture what are the two small things next to the transistor?
As you can see the middle one is not touching the heatsink should that be touching the heatsink?

Yeah I think the middle one should be touching the heatsink too, and make sure there is no black soot behind it, if there is (cause its hard to tell in the picture) its definitely failed

-Ben

Measure between each of the 3 leads of the power transistors. They should have a minimum of a diode drop between each lead. 6 measurements each.
In other words, when you use an analogue multimeter, the needle should swing across the scale to some middle position that represents the voltage drop across a diode.

If you have a continuity tester that does not beep when measuring a diode, it should not beep.
If you have a digital meter with a diode capability on the dial, it should measure a diode drop (about 0.56v to 0.7v )
If you have a digital meter and it measures a few ohms or zero ohms, the transistor is damaged.

Last edited:
okay i have never done any electrical work. Ill go pick up some multimeter in my store and see how it goes. I havnt used a multimeter so i will be needing your guide later.

THANKS!!!

You dont need a multimeter. Just 2 cells and a 3v globe. If the globe is bright in both directions, the transistor is blown. It couldn't be simler.

only problem is i dont have 2 cells and a 3v. Multimeter are not that expensive anyway ill just pick one up

read the numbers on the blown transistor and replace it with the same number and u cant replace it with any other numbered transistor.. I think those both transistors shouldnt be touched on same heatsink check it out that is there any insulating material behind every transistor between heatsink.. Goodluck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back