Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

amp auto power on

Status
Not open for further replies.

jules_bike

Hi I have a Harman Kardon amp which has two speaker circuits (A and B) each has a push button to activate one or both. There is also a power button. I would like to join the two functions into either one or two switches so pressing the speaker button turns on/off the amp. The current setup means the amp is often left on which I guess means a waste of electricity. Any ideas?

Instead of turning off the speakers AND turning off the amplifier, why don't you leave the speaker switches always connected then simply turn on or off the amplifier??

Yes that would be the easiest but I want to be able to turn on one set of speakers (kitchen) and other times the others (dining room) and even sometimes both!

So there's always at least one pair of speakers on. That should give you an audible clue that the amp is on :). You never need to turn both pairs off, surely? I've got the same setup on my amp. Hardly ever touch the speaker switches.

In fact most of the time I want the speakers and amp switched off. I've got a Sonos player which effectively broadcasts music to whatever amps are switched on. In my dining room and kitchen I want the ability to flick a switch and listen in either or both of them but I don't want the amp on the whole time. I was planning on taking apart the amp and integrating it into a cupboard so that just the volume and speaker select buttons are accessible.

When the amplifier is switched off then why do you want the speakers to also be switched off?

I just want one button to press instead of two - so at the moment I press the amp power button then press the button for the speaker I want to turn on or off. Ideally now I would have a dial with say All Off, Kitchen, Dining, Both

Do the speakers have their own power supply (e.g. for electrostatics), independent of the amp power supply? If not, then just press the power button (that's one button) and the speakers will all automatically be off.

No these are just normal speakers - so in essence I need a switch that can do two things at once. Power on/off an amp and set up a speaker circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back