Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amateur GPS surveying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

I need to put in a new section of fence on my property. I have my survey from when I bought the property. I had to do a piece of fence earlier and had the luxury of having it right beside the house and the survery already said how far the foundation was from the property line, ok that's great because it conversely allows me to determine how far the prop line is from the foundation.

Now this section I need to do is more than 100 ft from the foundation or the prop line pin. There are plenty of plants and obstructions, no line-of-sight. Even if I did have an LOS I don't really have the instruments to proper accuracy over this distanve. I called about a site survey again, they said over $300 and that it might be more with the obstructions and wanting these mid-points plotted not just corners. This is way too expensive.

So, here's my question. I have a Garmin GPS III+ and could probably get another consumer-priced model if need be. Is there any way to get sub-foot accuracy with "differential GPS"? Differential cancels out most errors, you could place one receiver at a known position and another receiver at the measured location and take the difference in readings. Or take just one GPS, zero it at a known location and quickly move the GPS to the new location (error usually takes awhile to change).

I saw where you can hook up a Starlink Differential Beacon receiver that get you 1-5 meters of accuracy, impressive but not enough for a fenceline. Those rely on a tower somewhere in the basic region broadcasting info on the current error for the general area. Hundreds of feet away from a known location should be much better.

I had to note that the Garmin serial data itself has longitude taken to 4 decimal places which is 430 inches at the equator (somewhat less than that in Texas here since a sec of longitude is less), even if I was able to achieve full accuracy (which would be a difficult task itself). I noticed that Wikipedia's entry for the NMEA format had an example to 5 decimal places, I saw an example from a SiRF receiver that went to 5 places, so perhaps I could find a unit with much better resolution than this Garmin. Even trying to average this may be tricky, the GPS only puts out one sample every sec so it'll take awhile to try to get an averaged reading with a high resolution for a single location.

If needed, maybe I could make a radio link between two receivers. Got plenty of microcontroller experience though the radio link is a bunch of extra hardware. Heck, at this distance maybe I could just find enough wire to make a wired connection? Esp if I could stab a stake in the ground on each side and run a single unshielded wire over there. NMEA is only 4800 baud serial anyways, not exactly challenging in the transmission dept.

My GPS reports locations as S27° 16.518'. At the equator, 1 minute is 1 nautical mile = 1.15 statute miles. I make that a resolution of 1.15*1760*12/1000 = 24 inches. If you leave your GPS to average for a day and then set the corner post as a waypoint, you should be able to get a pretty accurate couple of points along your fence line by using the bearing (move the pointer over the waypoint). If you go 100' away in the right direction and place a post and then repeat at 200' you should be able to eye your fence line.

Mike.
Edit, corrected calculation.

Last edited:
It will cost you alot for fencing( time and money),so why take a chance that your neighbor will complain and maybe hire a surveyor, and you will have to move it.
I used to work for a surveyor, and I saw all kinds property line disputes.
What I learned was, it is always cheaper in the long run to hire a surveyor .

Ah thank you Pommie! I mixed up degrees and minutes of longitude, didn't I!

Well the existing, falling down fence is like 2 ft onto my side. It's only like 30 or 40 ft long, not even an enormous deal to move. Money's tight. I think we could pull up money for materials, that survey would be close to doubling the price and at that rate the project's gonna be canned.

I can always map out the other 3 corner pins' locations and see how well they agree with the documentation from the last survey to prove whether or not my system and my calculations are accurate.

I could really dig it if this thing actually works. I could think of a lot of uses (*IF* it works).

hi Oznog,
On a 'bigger' scale have you checked your plot layout using the Google Earth and the measuring tools.
We checked our farm layout in South Africa and it was spot on.

Also revealed 'unknown' pathways thru our bush, being used by the locals as a short cuts.

If you leave your GPS in one position long enough the accuracy improves, the survey GPS systems like to be in the same spot for a few minutes.
The differential GPS systems are redundent these days as the americans have taken the scrambling off the civil GPS

Using some undocumented commands it is possible to get raw pseudo-ranges (I think that's the correct terminology) out of some of the Garmin consumer units (and I think the GPS III+ is one of the ones for which this is possible).

Given this ability, you can sit your GPS receiver at a fixed point for some time and record the raw pseudo-range data into a PC or datalogger. You can then get (over the Internet) accurate ephemeris data for the GPS satellites and pseudo-range data for the same time period from a fixed GPS receiving station near you. This is the information that is used by professional survey equipment to post-process the GPS data to get the best possible position accuracy.

Most of the post-processing software is expensive, but I have found a few sources of free software in the past. I may have some links saved on another system, I'll take a look this evening.

Googling for pseudo-range and post-processing may throw up something useful. Here's a starting point. The Nottingham University GRINGO page referenced in that article appears to have moved - it is now at **broken link removed**

Found what I was looking for - the free software I've found in the past is from Dennis Milbert, see **broken link removed**, most of it is in Fortran, there's one item written in Java. If you play with this and get any of it to work, I'd be very interested to hear how you get on. It's something I keep meaning to investiagte and never quite get around to.

Last edited:
GPS Reference Station Network

I would use a registered surveyor. This would help if there was any boundary dispute in the future.

If you do want to use GPS then could you make use of a GPS reference station Network ?

These have GPS receivers at precisely known points which are compared with received GPS position and send out corrective signals. Using such systems it can be possible to get a location position to 1 or 2 cm.

NGS/NOAA Continuously Operating Reference Stations have a **broken link removed** of stations.

The GPS receiver is connected to Laptop and software is needed for working out the corrections. Most of the software is commercial and aimed at the professional market but there is some freeware available.

For UK see **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back