Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AM Transmissions from Electric Guitar... help

Status
Not open for further replies.

alastairblake

I want to wire an AM transmitter into my 72 Tele Electric Guitar. I can route out places for it to sit, for switches, and power supply. I want it to be able to take the unamplified signal, that the leaves at the output jack, and send it via AM radio to an AM receiver with my other effect pedals. Is there a place that I could buy a tiny transmitter? should I make this? I just need to know what I would need, and what to wire where. (I don't know how to to have it take the unamplifided signal, and send it. all taht jazz)

Thank you.

AM radio for music??
AM has a narrow bandwidth to barely pass telephone audio frequencies.
AM has distortion and interference.
AM transmitters use extremely long antenna wires.
AM is crap, use FM.

I want AM for exactly these reasons. it could be cool to have AM and FM. but i want that... negative.... flexiblity and so on that AM gives. all those unwanted traits.

The nulls involved at AM radio frequencies could leave you in a "dead spot" with nothing being amplified but the buzz from the effects pedals. if you really like retro, go for it.

alastairblake said:
I want AM for exactly these reasons. it could be cool to have AM and FM. but i want that... negative.... flexiblity and so on that AM gives. all those unwanted traits.

It's a really stupid idea, and will sound crap, you would be just wasting your time!.

You could probably get a similar effect (but not as bad) by cutting five of the strings off your guitar! :p

Nigel Goodwin said:
You could probably get a similar effect (but not as bad) by cutting five of the strings off your guitar! :p

bwhahahaha.... Also, in a storm, imagine the sound from the lightening flashes. Or someone walking between the signal..

It is too bad, he is given smart information but wants to not take it (free info too) and be rude. Oh well.. I got a laugh.

alastairblake said:
the point was to get odd and broken sound. for music. whatever.

I think they think you wanted to send the sounds via AM and it would really mess it up, you will wind up with all kinds of sounds, but not from your
guitar..

Anyway, there are tons of AM transmitter out there. google for a couple. You will need to get the preamp signal to the input of it and a radio and good to go. Note the sounds will be random, so reproducing them will be a problem.

yeah, My band has played with AM radios before. and changes in location, and all kinds of things do varry it. alright. well thank you. if you know of any good pieces to get, let me know, if not, thanks.

Google, there are a lot of them. Find one them come back if you need help interfacing it.. Good luck.

**broken link removed**

Here is one of my labs that does exactly what you want. Understand, that since this is an RF circuit, you must not breadboard it, rather, solder using a small perforated board, keep all your leads short!

I have provided several R/L combinations to get different frequencies on the dial.

If you find you need a bit more power, let me know - there is a simple 2 transistor circuit which will boost the output to several hundred feet.

:)

Attachments

• Lab #7.pdf
    81 KB · Views: 263
Rather than carve up the guitar's body, esp a '72 Telecaster, you should build it into a small housing that you wear on your belt. If you indeed have a genuine Telecaster from the early 70's era and despite it's cursed with the stigma of the CBS era, it would be ashame to carve the wood for something like an AM transmitter, let alone a quality VHF/UHF transmitter! Vintage reissues are selling for mucho buckos and a genuine vintage Fender is worth a tidy sum, often more than some third world nations GNP! I have a genuine '63 Strat. not a reissue model.

Then post the circuit so others can learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back