Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AM radio antanna

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammy004

Hi guys I was just wondering if there is any way I can add something or build a circuit that can give me more reception on my radios at home so I can get clear AM radio? There is a radio station in Vancouver that I can pick up here in the interior BC only in the mornings and very static during the day, so I was in a couple of shops in in Vancouver and they told me that they had modified radios that I can buy that will give me the reception there in the interior BC so I can listen the the radios clearly all day. Can anyone tell me what it might be that they modified so I can try the build it on my own, because spending $100 on a radio that looked like it was from the 70 was really not in my budget. Thank you guys your feedback is greatly appreciated.

This will help you a lot.

**broken link removed**

A number of my friends own GE Superradios and insist that the AM capabilities are excellent - excellent being sensitive and stable.

I've used a loop antenna - about 24" by 24" on bearing (lazy susan) that allows rotation - and with capacitor so that it is tuned. You would probably be impressed with the results. It is my understanding that serious users will add an amplifier. The loop antenna is somewhat clumsy given it's size. I've read that some folks will make their own ferrite rod antennas - what amounts to a compact version of the loop - making the ferrite loop antenna larger by gluing the ferrite cores together end to end.

In my area the program content found on AM broadcast is quite different than FM broadcast. l loan my loop antenna to a friend who listens to baseball games aired out of a moderate powered station that cannot be heard otherwise in his location. I may bring the loop into my office so I can catch some news programs not available on FM in my location.

The noise on AM is awful and seems to get worse all the time with all the electronics that generates RF - and various wireless services. Lots of transition to HD but so far users complain that stations are difficult if not impossible to receive - where traditional AM is poor but at least you can get something.

Does anyone listen to AM any more?, the quality is absolutely pathetic, why would you bother?.

Nigel!

You took the words right out of AGs mouth!:D

JimB

I hate to admit that I listen to awful-sounding AM radio news in my car sometimes.

When I was about 12 years old I made a loop antenna with tuning capacitor for an AM radio so I could receive stations far away. It worked very well.

I hate to admit that I listen to awful-sounding AM radio news in my car sometimes.

I couldn't even tell you where the AM button on my car radio is! :D

I've certainly never listened to AM this century, and I'm not sure how far back last century it was when I last did!.

Last edited:
I live in a moderate sized metro area and during my commute in the morning AM is the only place where I can listen to a news program - music or morning DJs who have little to offer on FM. I suspect most US cities are similar. Only news at all on FM is 30 seconds of headlines once every few hours.

I couldn't even tell you where the AM button on my car radio is! :D

I've certainly never listened to AM this century, and I'm not sure how far back last century it was when I last did!.

Unless you have an expensive DAB or listen over ther Internety you can't get radio 5, Virgin or Talk Sport on FM.

AM also travels further, which is handy as you can still get radio 5 and 4 in Holland, northern France and Ireland.

I've also hear about plans to start broadcasting low bandwidth digital channels on MW and LW frequencies which would give greater range for the power used and OK quality.

I don't find alot of practical reason to listen to AM radio, but one of my winter hobbys is DXing on the AM band.

I built a 4 foot box loop antenna and am very happy with the results.

I don't have a Super radio (always wanted one though) I have a 50 year old Hallicrafters reciver with tubes in it. I got it at a farm auction for 4 bucks (with a box of holiday lights throw in right along with it!). I've had alot of fun with it and the loop.

The nice thing about the loop antenna is it can be turned to null out a station you don't want to hear. So if you are like me and live close to a transmission tower that tends to walk on everything, or are looking to pick up a distant station on the same or close to same freq. as a strong local station, the loop will help alot.

But like stevez's said, its bulky and clumsy though. My wife just loves it when i bring up up out of the basement:D

My receiver is one of the nicer Knight kits - I earned it by cleaning out the basement where the deceased former owner kept it - his wife was happy to have the basement clean. On many frequencies I can catch more than one station and actually separate them with the directional characteristics. The null is as much help as the peak - if tuned sharply the null can suppress even a fairly powerful local station.

Unless you have an expensive DAB or listen over ther Internety you can't get radio 5, Virgin or Talk Sport on FM.

DAB is a waste of time, poorer quality than FM, and pathetic coverage - and I've no wish to listen to any of the stations you mentioned, with the possible exception of Virgin Radio, which is supposedly quite decent - never heard it though, as it's not country wide on FM.

Winter nights are a great help; the (ionized?) layers in the sky help funnel the signals great distances. But I think stations reduce power at night for this very reason.

Here's a site **broken link removed** that sells verious AM antennas. Some you don't even connect, just place near the radio.

I listen to AM radio since it's the only band in our area that has continuous news and talk stations.

DAB is a waste of time, poorer quality than FM, and pathetic coverage
I agree, however surely it's better use of the MW and LW bands than obsolete DSB?

One of the problems with DAB is that the UK was one of the early adaptors so we're now stuck with an inferious system. It's perfectly possible to have FM quality sound with DAB but the crappy standard used here doesn't allow it.

On SW such DAB stations could easilly cover the entire globe.

<30MHz is a great band because it can cover large areas and is cheap as no satellites are required. It only seems sensible to use it DAB which would deliver better quality audio than AM.

Winter nights are a great help; the (ionized?) layers in the sky help funnel the signals great distances. But I think stations reduce power at night for this very reason.
Yes. In the U.S. only AM stations that have a unique frequency (clear channel) which is not duplicated by any other U.S. station are allowed to maintain high power at night. Thus those can be regularly be heard a 1000 miles away or more at night.

Yes. In the U.S. only AM stations that have a unique frequency (clear channel) which is not duplicated by any other U.S. station are allowed to maintain high power at night. Thus those can be regularly be heard a 1000 miles away or more at night.

Actually, at the low end of the AM band my spouse and I are being radiated less than we normally would because the field in our direction is weakened to avoid interfering with a station in Rhode Island.
If we had kids we would have already moved.
And if the Rhode Island station goes under I guess we can expect our flourescent lights to go on by themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back