Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Am I safe, Earthed from my inverter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxsick

Hello.

I have brought a Surge Protector Board online and it has the features listed:
8 Switched Power Outputs
1 Phone Line Protection
1 F-Type Satalite Protection
1 RF TV Protection
1 Light Protected(RED) if this light is off have unit checked
1 Light Earth (Green) Earth Connected
1 Light (Amber) if on, have unit checked

When I plug this unit into mains, the RED & Green Lights are on which appears to be normal.

when I plug it into my inverter's Output RED & Amber lights comes on but Earth light does not.

I have used a large thick wire from the Inverter's GROUND Terminal and connected that to my houses's FUSEBOX EARTH

When I use my multimeter to earthed pin on my Surge Protection Board's Earth and Earth in my house it shows a Connection 0ohm.

So earth is connected I'm sure, but perhaps my inverter works off a different Circuit, to mains?

can anyone tell me if even tho my surge protector does not show the light for my Earth. is the unit infact earthed? and safe against being shocked should a chassis short on an appliance happen?

Kind regards,
Shaun

Your power strip is not connected to earth ground. Connecti it to your circuit ground then connect your circuit ground to earth ground. You would be better off running it directly from the mains like it was intended to be used for.

The invertor should be completely isolated from your mains wiring. And so you would not be connected to mains earth when using it. However, there should still be a circuit breaker to cut power if any applicance is plugged into the invertor which has a short between line and the chassis. If that is not the case, then you put yourself at risk of shock. You have a little protection because of the invertor's isolate, but should still have circuit breaker protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back