Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AM/FM to PC project

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertalev

Hi,
I need to build a project for school where I collect a list of available radio (am and fm) frequencies to a windows 2000 text (or something usable) file. The process as well as band switching can be activated by a switch or button but the scanning for the list has to be automated.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can pull this one off?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Berta.

I'm not very clear on your exact requirements - is it to actually build the radio system from scratch AND the PC interface and software. Or just the PC interface and software.

If it's the second one, you can probably buy a good quality radio (from Amateur Radio suppliers) that has a PC interface already built-in - you would then just need to build (or buy) the interface (although it might already have a standard interface built-in), and write (or buy) the software.

If it's the first option, building a synthesised multi-band radio with a micro-processor control system isn't a simple (or cheap) project. I wouldn't expect it to be assigned to a school class, more of a university finals project!.

The actual software should be pretty simple, a FOR/NEXT loop for each band that steps through each frequency in turn, and checks for a signal.

This is for a university class. The specs are flexible, I can either find something that already does this sort of thing or build one myself.
The problem is with mobility. I'll have to be able to take this one on the road and verify it's functionality. I guess the problem is with conversion from the actual frequency to data. It'll take much longer to convert a LED display using the seven segment decoder if I hacked some digital radio. However, I don't need the audio just the frequencies.
Thanks for replying,
Berta.

bertalev said:
This is for a university class. The specs are flexible, I can either find something that already does this sort of thing or build one myself.
The problem is with mobility. I'll have to be able to take this one on the road and verify it's functionality. I guess the problem is with conversion from the actual frequency to data. It'll take much longer to convert a LED display using the seven segment decoder if I hacked some digital radio. However, I don't need the audio just the frequencies.

Check amateur radio shops, there have been a number of computer controlled radios available over the years - no need to try and read multiplexed LED displays, you simply connect to the back of the radio via an interface from the computer.

If you do come across some kit that already meets my specs please let me know. I am having a tough time finding anything that fits.
Thanks again,
Berta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back