Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Alternative to Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

Hi all,
I need a component that can be used to switch ON/OFF the switches of above types. The component that i'm anticipating to use should be a Mechanical type(something like a motor), that which can pull the switch UP/DOWN based on the 1/0 of a Digital Logic circuit/Atmega16.

I suppose relays cant be used here, because of high current that will be drawn from the electrical appliances and also due to low output current of digital citcuit/atmega16. Moreover, i dont want to dismantle the switch and use a relay.

Any Idea?

Attachments

• SWITCHES.jpg
    SWITCHES.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
There has got to literally be more to the picture. 10'000 Amp? That makes no sense for what is pictured. What exactly are you trying to control?

As to mechanical devices, you would want a electro mechanical solenoid to do what you ask but I don't see it as a viable solution, more a mechanical nightmare.

Ron

dismantle? just replace switches with relay(or put em in series), easier,, and relay isolates your controller from surges, I agree wit ron there, you dont want to be building a solenoid for that stuff, mechanical hell, plus you will need to treat solenoid circuit just like relay, with all the diodes and transistors....

I agree with what u members...
But the switch needs to be operated in that way temporarily, for a day or two. And again, after that i want to want it to be as it was before. So i thought to do it with some kind of mechanical device, without a relay. So that i can use it when i require, and to any other switch(when i require to change it to other appliances).

Last edited:
where can i get the actuator? Radio shack??
**broken link removed**
I guess, using a relay is feasible than a knife switch :| .

Edit: BTW Where do i get Knife Switch?

Last edited:
If you look real hard at the electronic surplus stores, you can find small "linear actuators", which are basically small motors with a power screw mechinism. You'll need one with limit switches, or else provide the limit swtiches it if doens't have one. Then, you'll only need to figure out how to mount and connect the actuator to your switch.

Otherwise, if you have access to compressed air, you can use small pneumatic actuators. I use these for actuating a variety of switches and mechanical levers in small robotic projects.

I have used the linear actuator with a knife switch to discharge cap-banks. Works well.

The pneumatic actuators would be nice to have. REAL fast. minimal arcing.

You can also get a contactor. A contactor is a highewr power relay used in HVAC or motor starting applications.

Many have 24v coils and can handle 100's of HP.

In your case, the knife swich can be built for 10,000 amps.

A push-pull solenoid with no spring-return would allow you to pulse the solenoid to close the switch, then reverse polarity and pulse it again to open the switch.

Last edited:
Electro Solenoids (Mechanical) in masses.

You can have the coil voltage(s) of your choosing and switch them on/off however trips your trigger. However, there is a hell of a lot more to it. You need to be able to mount the thing and assuming you manage that, you need enough force to do the job. How much force is required to toggle the pictured images? Check the column to the left in the link. Latching or non-latching and the options continue.

Just my take but using any sort of electro-mechanical device to toggle the switches (breakers) initially pictured does not seem at all practical or feasible. Especially for a test with a few day duration.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back