Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Alternate to a Reed Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

gramo

I'm looking for a device that is similar to a reed switch, but with no moving parts.

I'm sure I've read something about a similar device that uses a permanent magnet and a coil type device, and the voltage induced into the coil indicates a passing motion of the magnet near by..

It’s for use with a speedometer, and would like to use something that will have a longer life span than a standard reed switch.

Any ideas?

Yes, you can use a coil to detect a moving magnet, just amplify the pulses from it. You can also use a semi-conductor version, a hall effect sensor, you can find these in DC brushless motors (VCR's, dusk drives etc.).

They make amplified Hall Effect sensors that are exactly what you're looking for. The sensing distance is going to be as good or better than with the reed part, though more sensative as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back