Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

All it takes is a broken switch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
The light over the bath vanity had a broken switch. The light consists of 3 globes and a 3 way type switch (middle, two outer and all)
These are metal "sconces" is what you call them, I guess. The housing is plastic, but strong plastic. The base is about 3 foot long and 6" wide and maybe 6" tall.

It was supposed to be an EASY job, right?

The switch also needs a arthritus friendly actuator, although not for me, so that was fun in itself.

Nope. The globes were rusted and painting in a bathroom doesn't hold up. So, I disassembled everything and had the metal pieces powder coated. I wasn't too crazy about the color choices. We'll see.

Findinga gold paint, I liked for the plastic was tough in itself. Krylon Gold Leaf was a really nice color. https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-KSCS029-Short-Aerosol-3-Ounce/dp/B000GLHVIC

So, a few coats and some scratch filler later, it looked "pretty good", but not good enough. The original had a sort of two color design on the edges and I decided to try to duplicate that. So, I found some artist's acrylic paint and pained it with a tiny paint brush. While painting, I noticed what would be called fake nails or rivets, so I put an edge of black around the fake rivets.

After that dries, it gets a coat of spray clear. After that dries, I can re-assemble. Maybe in a few days, I'll post a pic.

I have yet to try 3V0's electrolytic rust removal.

I have used electrolytic rust removal myself a few times. One instance involved a piece from a rusted frame of a commercial lawn sprayer. Had to do that in two sections. My experience has been completely satisfactory. Used to be able to get whole cars dipped, but the place in Cleveland I went to for larger equipment was closed.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back