Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Alarmed bike chain, sounded by broken circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjc132

I am currently undertaking a design project, encompassing a bike lock where if the chain is broken an alarm will sound. My initial thoughts are to use an existing personal alarm (the cheap ones with a rip cord) and attaching a circuit through the chain. When the chain is cut the circuit is cut sounding the alarm. I am a novice in electronics and was looking for some general advice concerning what is involved with the electronic component i.e. is it feasible to connect a circuit (wire) to the personal alarm and if this alarm is cut making the alarm sound? Any feedback or reference to helpful material would be very welcome!! Thank you

This will be easier to do with a cable lock than a chain lock. You would need an electrical break in the loop, probably at the lock, for it to work. Yes, using an existing personal alarm would simplify it a bit.

If you want to be lazy, you could run a thin cable along with the lock cable. Put a connector on the end so you can detach it to remove your bike.

If the lock cable is cut, the theif would still need to cut / break / disconnect the alarm cable in order to release the bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back