Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

alarm clock date and time help finding ic

Status
Not open for further replies.

patbb

hello

i would really like to make a nice a big alarm clock that display the
the hour (2 digits), the minutes (2 digits), the year (4 digits), the day (2 digits), the month (3 letters).

so this is 13, 7 standard segments leds.

would also be nice if the ic would have the proper amount of days in the month...

Is there a single, or few ic that would do the job?

what would be the best way to do this?

I've been searching for ic's for a while, or even other projects like this but i couldn't find much.
I did find some ics, like the idt1339, but actually my electronic level is too low to be able to interpret the datasheet in order to be sure it would meet the requirement for this project.

I can also do some picaxe, not much but if the project require some microcontrollers, this might be a good opportunity for me to improve my skills with them.

if you have any idea, please help me out!

thank you very much

you can simply use microcontroller and crystal oscillator. if you like, you can use dedicated RTC chip like you posted. all you have to do is interface it. most interfaces are serial, either SPI or I2C. there is plenty of code samples of using either. driving so many segments will require quite few pins so count on using some sort of expansion. many times this is done using just SIPO registers like 74xx595 or using multiplexing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back