Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

alalog VU meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
i want to make a VU meter i think i can use the bargraph display driver any ideas
i dont really have something in mind i was hoping that you guys knew somethings on the topic

david d

new fav. band scary kids scaring kids

The LM3914 is a linear voltmeter and makes a poor VU meter.

There is the LM3916 IC which drives up to 10 LEDs in various sized steps as a VU meter.

There is the LM3915 which also drives up to 10 LEDs in doubling or halving of power steps as a VU meter.

The datasheet for the LM3915 shows a few "peak detector" circuits that hold the peak reading for a moment which is long enough for it to be seen. Without a peak detector then a bargraph is a blur and a moving dot is a dim blur.

I have a Sound Level Indicator project. It uses an LM3915 driving 20 bright LEDs in 10 steps that have a dimming pot. It has a peak detector circuit. I added 20dB worth of automatic gain control so that it displays a pin dropped on the floor of the next room if there is no other sounds and if I hold my breath, and it clearly shows loud music. Therefore its range in levels is 50dB.
It has a rechargeable 9V battery (actually 7.2V) plus a wall-wart power supply.
https://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/motor_light/009/index.html

Attachments

• Sound Level Indicator 002.jpg
    Sound Level Indicator 002.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 174
David - I have a bunch of small VU meters that appear to behave as if they have a logarithmic response built in. I am old enough to remember - but can't for some reason - if I am correct that many VU meters were constructed this way - so that that an otherwise linear signal does not need to be conditioned to get the log (I think that's what's needed) response. If I am correct all you will need to do is procure a VU meter and consider how you might adapt the available input to the range of the meter.

There are a number of ways to take a surplus or discarded meter and determine it's characteristics. You ought to be able to find that via google or in electronics references.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back