Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AKAI GX-F90 Casette/Mic/Pre-amp deck repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc.the.shark

Help - I have an AKAI GX-F90 deck that has recently been giving me problems. I have been using it recently to convert some older cassettes to MP3 files. I have been connecting the deck to a laptop via the phone jack, and then recording the decks output using Audacity software. The deck works well for about 15/20 minutes, but after that I start to get a humm in the LH channel. If I shut the tape off, the humm continues. I can see the LH indicator showing output even when the tape is off, and I can see the humm on the Audacity software. Turning off the power and letting the deck sit for a day seems to reset it and I can get another 20 minutes or so. I hooked up an external fan near the back of the unti to keep it cooler, but the problem remains. What should I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sound like it could possibly be a dried out capacitor - these tend to work at first then cause problems when they warm up.

Sound like it could possibly be a dried out capacitor - these tend to work at first then cause problems when they warm up.

I would suggest faulty electrolytics normally work the other way round, duff at first and gets better as it warms up - however, it's not something that usually goes wrong with cassette decks.

Far more likely, and a VERY common fault on old cassette decks is the record play switch, with dirty contacts causing the amplifier to oscillate - simply wriggling the switch back and forth when it's faulty soon shows if that's the case or not. A new switch is unlikely to be available, but a little squirt of WD40 (or a switch cleaning product if you prefer) in the switch and working back and forth usually cures it.

I had an old Aiwa system where the display would come on for the first few minutes then fade as the electrolytics "warmed up" - it was probably my first experience of repairing something with dried caps. I've also had various LCD televisions and monitors which have worked for the first 5-10 minutes then died as they have warmed up.

I do agree that dirty switches are another major problem with a lot of older gear - I seem to be forever spraying switch cleaner into problematic equipment lol.

I'd say the faulty electrolytic capacitors of about 0.1 uF the signal path that should not be that type. They should be metalized polyester, but they are more expensive. I've seen lots of issues like that.

Help - I have an AKAI GX-F90 deck that has recently been giving me problems. I have been using it recently to convert some older cassettes to MP3 files. I have been connecting the deck to a laptop via the phone jack, and then recording the decks . . . . . What should I do?

The only Input Laptops have are "Mono Mic" inputs. How are you doing a "stereo" recording from a "Line out" of the deck?

I am recording in mono - but just by looking at the indicator bars on the tape deck I can see the static is only on the LH channel

Hi all ..... Nigel is so right !!....90% of the time on these older decks, the record/playback slider switches are the problem ..... A little spray of switch cleaner and the issue is resolved !!.....In some more expensive decks I have actually removed and manually cleaned all the individual contacts, when replacement parts are NLA !!....Obviously the Customer was happy to pay the extra time involved !!!.....Switches on the front panel, like the Tape/ Source monitor switch, also create many faults , like one channel cutting in and out, etc ......I actually still own in immaculate condition the Akai GXF90 and GXF95 Cassette Decks , and 30 years later, they still perform perfectly, having only changed a couple of drive belts over the years !!.....A wonderful reflection on the Japaneese quality build of that era !!..... Cheers Guy's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back