Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AIRPAX SMA 82805, how knows this stepper motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loup-garou

AIRPAX SMA 82805, who knows this stepper motor ?

Hi,

did anyone use the bipolar-uniploar stepper motor below?

AIRPAX (USA), model:SMA 82805 (n.8845)

Volts:4.6
OHMS/COIL: 5
STEP ANGLE : 7.5

I would be grateful if somebody gives me further info about it ?, for exemple, what is the ideal voltage to use ?, the maximum current in the windings , is this correct Imax=4,6/5 ?, what is the value of the chemical capacitor to put next to the L298 (to supply the stepper with current) ?

PHOTO

thanks in advance for any kind of help.

Last edited:
Did that come out of a copier I have 1 I removed from a copier. It was 24 volts. I would say AIRPAX was a reseller of that not the maker
Look here **broken link removed**
and here
**broken link removed**
I looked at it it was 12 volts the 24 was for the lite in the copier. hope this helps you out
burt

Last edited:
Yes, with steppers you want to hit them with a higher voltage than what it says. The rating is for a steady-state DC, but you will get crap performance out of them if you try to pulse it off that low of a voltage.

hi,

thanks guys for your help. ;)

thanks for the links be80be, I'll read them soon. concerning your question: I don't really know from where it comes (a friend bring it to me)

for the info: this stepper motor has 6 inputs (hence, it can be used as unipolar or bipolar)

will a 24V supply supply work fine ?

what does a crap performance stands for duffy ? (sorry, I don't understand the slang)

Last edited:
Slow and weak. Yes, 24V will work fine. Limit the pulse widths so you don't overheat the windings at low speeds.

I wouldn't run it at 24 volt. Run it with no more then 12. Like i said I took 1 out of a copier It was being power from 12 volts which is more then it's rating I thought it was 24 but I looked at the power supply that i saved and it was using 12 volts

Slow and weak. Yes, 24V will work fine. Limit the pulse widths so you don't overheat the windings at low speeds.
hi duffy,

thanks for this quick reply. ;)
I was told, months ago, that the pulse width of the clock signal entering the L297 (with a 50% duty cycle most of the time) , don't has an effect on the motor , am I wrong here ?

Last edited:
I've seen 5V steppers run at 50V. The higher voltages work fine so long as you limit the pulse width.

I wouldn't run it at 24 volt. Run it with no more then 12. Like i said I took 1 out of a copier It was being power from 12 volts which is more then it's rating I thought it was 24 but I looked at the power supply that i saved and it was using 12 volts

hi again be80be,

I read somewhere on the internet, that the stepper motors in general can be run with power supply up to 8,10 times the value indicated on them ( rating is for a steady-state DC as said duffy) so that the current on the windings will decrese proportionally.

what's wrong with this motor so ?

Last edited:
I was told, months ago, that the pulse width of the clock signal entering the L297 (with a 50% duty cycle most of the time) , don't has an effect on the motor , am I wrong here ?

You are correct. With the L297/298 combo you limit the pulse widths with resistors, it has a built-in PWM.

You are correct. With the L297/298 combo you limit the pulse widths with resistors, it has a built-in PWM.

I see that you mean the resistor value of the RC network (which determines the chopper rate) connected to the OSC pin of the L297.

so I'll have to use a potientometer insted of resistor in my stepper motor driver board. (the values indicated on the datasheet (page 8 figure 2) are R=22k, C =3.3nf, any idea about the choice of these values ? )
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet2/c/0g0gh362kxwx30o7xi4x2i4jzffy.pdf

Last edited:
You can run them at higher volts It give you more power. But how are you going to use the stepper say that you run it at 50% duty a 5volt could run at 10 and not burn it out but at 100% it wounldn't last long. you use the higher volt for more power at less duty

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back