Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Airline Pilots and the people who service the aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
Airline Pilots and the people who service the aircraft

Remember, it takes a college degree to fly a plane but only a high school diploma to fix one.

After every flight, Qantas pilots fill out a form, called a 'Gripe Sheet' which tells mechanics about problems with the aircraft.
The mechanics correct the problems; document their repairs on the form, and then pilots review the Gripe Sheets before the next flight.

Never let it be said that ground crews lack a sense of humour.
Here are some actual maintenance complaints submitted by Qantas' pilots (marked with a P) and the solutions recorded (marked with an S) by maintenance engineers.

By the way, Qantas is the only major airline that has never, ever, had an accident.

P: Left inside main tyre almost needs replacement.
S: Almost replaced left inside main tyre.

P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

P: Something loose in cockpit.
S: Something tightened in cockpit.

P: Dead bugs on windshield.
S: Live bugs on back-order.

P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200 feet per minute descent.
S: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
S: Evidence removed.

P: DME volume unbelievably loud.
S: DME volume set to more believable level.

P: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
S: That's what friction locks are for.

P: IFF inoperative in OFF mode.
S: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

P: Suspected crack in windshield.
S: Suspect you're right.

P: Number 3 engine missing.
S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

P: Aircraft handles funny............ (I love this one!)
S: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be serious.

P: Target radar hums.
S: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics.

P: Mouse in cockpit.
S: Cat installed.

And the best one for last..................
P: Noise coming from under instrument panel. Sounds like a midget pounding on something with a hammer.
S: Took hammer away from midget.

Funny ... :)

Last edited:
IFF is on all major airlines. My Brother in law is a pilot on SW, he said so. Oh and after 9/11.

Last edited:
IFF is on all major airlines. My Brother in law is a pilot on SW, he said so. Oh and after 9/11.

OK, I bow to better knowledge.

I know that there are radar SQUWALK (sp?) codes which identify the aircraft and give other information, but I did not know that it was referred to as IFF in civilian circles.

JimB

IFF is a military term, Identification friend or foe I think it is, but civi planes have them, :)

After 9/11 don't even think of flying a big plane in our airspace without one. I am sure civies have a different term.

Last edited:
JimB, even private aircraft have to have IFF transponders to operate in controlled airspace. That is how approach and departure control keeps track of which aircraft is which. Now days you even have to have a reporting altimeter attached to it so they not only know who you are, where you are but also how high the pilot is and hopefully the rest of the aircraft as well.

Actually I saw those same humorous statements going back over 40 years in the NAVAIR community. Hey, still funny to read. As to IFF, our friends at WIKI tell us:

Identification, friend or foe (IFF) is an identification system designed for command and control. It is a system that enables military and national (civilian-located ATC) interrogation systems to identify aircraft, vehicles, or forces as friendly and to determine their bearing and range from the interrogator.

For those really curious this is a good read and gives a mode breakdown.

Something else that is interesting is that all US Navy Submarines also run IFF. They run it while traveling on the surface, especially during darkness. Go figure. :)

Ron

It was a good funny post, appreciate the funny factor.

Good article, Ron. Now i got to install one in ex and current squeeze. E

LMAO, The only device I have been working on for ex wives is a matter transfer device so I can beam then into the center of a brick wall. :)

The article is nice as it breaks down the modes. Commercial air only use modes 1 & 2 for the data they provide. The cool stuff comes in mode 4 reply.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back