Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

aircon help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BioniC187

Hey guys,

This is probably in the wrong section, but didn't know where else to put it.

For those of you who have experience with air con units:

I have an LG neo plasma split unit, the half that goes inside your room, which i picked up as scrap from a company. The company was renovating, and the split that contains the compressor was damaged, and then thrown away.

So, is it feasible to get a compressor?

I spoke to some local electricians, and they say its best if i toss this one away, and get a new split unit setup.

I don't know much about aircon systems, so those who do know, please shed some light :)

Unfortunately as it stands now you have the cheap and simple half of the system. :facepalm:

Yes its possible but you have to get a unit that is rated similar to the one it originally had.

If you are good at scrap and salvage work plus have the necessary tools and don't mind doing a bit of homework you can make a workable system out of it again.

Unfortunately as it stands now you have the cheap and simple half of the system. :facepalm:

Yes its possible but you have to get a unit that is rated similar to the one it originally had.

If you are good at scrap and salvage work plus have the necessary tools and don't mind doing a bit of homework you can make a workable system out of it again.

Lol :)

Well, yeah.
I'll keep it around for a bit though - coz if i toss it out today, for sure i'll find the correct compressor next week :D

Thank you.

And btw, i thought that the most of the compressors don't have a wide range, like they are interchangeable between units. Like the neo plasma compressor works for like 5 other aircon systems of the same brand :confused:

All you need to do is get close on the rated cooling capacity to make a match.

Old self contained window AC units make for good cheap compressor/condenser donors. The vast majority get replaced due to their freon getting low or just because they are old and heavy. The mechanical stuff you need rarely wears out.

Thanks, I'll give trying to match the capacity a shot :). I'm pretty sure the one I have is a 12000 BTU

The windows AC units - I was under the impression that refilling it with freon after taking it apart is rather difficult. I have one of those as well, i was keen on an attempt to make it a split AC :D

If you have the right equipment draining and recharging a system is not that difficult. I made a multi purpose vacuum pump out of a old mini freezer compressor years ago. I still have it and still use it for most of my AC system work.

As far as recharge goes the odds are you will have to do your refill with R-134a or another similar unrestricted sales type refrigerant.

As I said earlier do some reading and homework. You may be pleasantly surprised to find out AC system design and repair is not all that complicated or expensive to do on a small scale DIY level plus the vast majority of parts you may need are available to anyone from numerous online sources.

BTW R-290a (common propane is just the scented version) is a near perfect drop in substitute replacement for R-22 when doing 'testing'. ;)

as others mentioned, you need the matching compressor, and also R22 need to be considered. not the old hard to get and ozone depleting gas, R134 usually for cars not home, well at least in my place. once you get the right pair, to diy refilling you'll need 1) gas (refrigerant) in a tank or bottle 2) pressure gauge manifold 3) vacuum pump + adapters + spanners etc if necessary. and then you need to buy copper pipe and insulation to connect indoor to outdoor, and oh you'll need 4) pipe cutter and flaring tool. there are many cheap flaring tool out there, dont give a damn, buy the expensive one for pro flaring if you dont want to regret (leak gas). if you have all that, if you already know how then you good to go if not youtube is your friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back