Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Air Core Transformer Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

imperium2335

Hi,

I am about to put together an act and have found that due to ordering the wrong diameter acrylic tube, my secondary coil is going to have to go inside the primary, as opposed to how it was previously planned (primary inside secondary).

Will this still function the same? My plan is to have the gap between the secondary and primary sealed and filled with mineral oil for added insulation, is this a good idea too?

Thanks in advance!

Tom.

What's an act?

Whether the primary is inside or outside the secondary should not significantly affect the transformer operation.

The gap will reduce the magnetic coupling between the primary and secondary, giving you more winding leakage inductance. Don't know how that will affect your circuit.

Doesn't sound like there is any ferromagnetic core, just airwound transformer.
That was assumed from the title of his thread.

Hi,

The gap between the primary and secondary is about 1cm, with about 6mm of acrylic tube between them plus 4mm of air, which could be filled with oil.

act = air core transformer, sorry.

hoping to get about 200 to 300 winds of 3mm thick wire on the primary and the secondary wire is 0.3mm thick.

I have always wondered about why on your average transformer the winding is so messy, as in the coils overlap randomly.

I'm planning on winding both coils so that they are compacted together and do not overlap, like the secondary coil on a tesla coil.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back