Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Aiight, here's a crazy one for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostrafus

Okay, wanted to design a super screwy strobe light, But I didn't want to do the normal strobe, I wanted to get a second opinion on this, I'm sure plenty of people have seen blade 2, I wanted to make something like the UV grenade.

Any ideas on if it would be better to make it out of a strobe, or would it be easier and more space conservative to just make it out of a few 5K+ MCD LED's ?

blade2 light grenade

Hi,

Interesting idea. for those that didn't see the movie, it was a really bright "daylight" grenade that wiped out the vampires in a tunnel scene.
In real life, I suppose you want somethng that can flash/strobe really brightly for a few seconds. (there is nothing violent about it despite the 'grenade' name... unless you're a real vampire... :shock:

I suppose with the new bright white LED's (5000+ MCD) that it would not be that hard to make. some timing circuit that could supply the right voltage pulsing for whatever duration you want. 555 timer IC comes to mind.

Additionally you could have some UV LED's (or other colors, too) to enhance the look of the device during the countdown phase, and then the "fireworks" go off. (Use your imagination to see the vampires turn to dust)

I think the LED approach might be better, lower cost, less power required, etc. but be warned that even these LED's can cause eye damage if used improperly. (ie, don't stare into them)

John

Hmmm... true, I was thinking like making a version of the "Dancing Lights" schematics on every electronics archive out there, and just use a mirrored back to give it some more umph.

Just make it with a 1/2 second or so break between flashes, and i don't think I'm gonna be using in the middle of the night... unless... might be able to take care of that camera issue I've been having... hmmm...

Note to self: Look into 1.5 million candlepower hallogen flashlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back