Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Agilent HDSP-2113 Alphanumeric Displays

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just recently purchased myself a number of HDSP-2113 Eight Character Smart Alphanumeric Displays, made by Agilent.

My question is; has anyone had any experience with these displays? If so, could they point me to a possible driver IC, or tell me the best way to drive them. I'm a bit lost with the datasheet!

The datasheet can be found at:

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5988-4668EN.pdf

As always, any information or guidence is always welcome.
Thanks.

I was thinking of purchasing a few alphanumeric displays myself...

My thought was to burn a rom with characters and multiplex it to display the desired characters.

The character codes shall be the address on the ROM IC.

So you can have your own characters.... :)

These are only my thoughts...If there is any flaw, please let me know...

EDITED LATER : I read the datasheet, I do not think you shall need a driver IC. It says it has a inbuilt ASCII decoder. So it shall have TTL or CMOS gates that shall need no more than what a microprocessor can supply...So it is very unlike the 7segment displays... :)

I have not used the display before but it has many similar features as that of LCD display.

In short, the display need a microprocessor or PIC to work properly.

You need to connect the display to a microprocessor like the 8051 family or to PIC. The display needs four types of connections.

a. power and reset, you can connect these easily to the existing processor.

b. data lines, these 8 bit data lines can be connected in parallel with the data bus of the microprocessor so that data can be sent/receieve via the data bus.

c. address lines, these can be connected to the existing uP address bus so that they can be accessed like a memory location, or in other word, access them as memory mapped I/O.

d. control pins, like RD, WR, FL and CE. The first two are generally available for any processor but you need to think about FL and CE. These two signals can be implemented via address decoder or using specific port pins under software control.

When the above connections are made, then it is only a matter of writing software routines in the microprocessor to telling the display what to do.

If you are starting from zero it would be quite a programming task. You might look at LCD display routines which are widely available on the net and modify them to suit your need.

Thank you very much lord loh and eblc1388 for the info!

I was thinking of the addressed ROM myself, but I was thinking or hooking them up to the UK MSF Atomic Rugby clock receiver, and making them the O/P displays of a clock. So I'm not convinced of the ROM approach.

As for the 8051 / PIC; I don't have the facilities to program a 8051, and I'm a novice in the PIC field, although I have all the equipment to program PICs. Would a PIC be able to accept a serial I/P of the time (for instance) and then O/P all the relevant 8-bit packets? Or would I require two, one to process the serial I/P the other to take that processed I/P and inject it into the display.

Could you also suggest a suitable PIC?!

canadianpoet2012 said:
As for the 8051 / PIC; I don't have the facilities to program a 8051, and I'm a novice in the PIC field, although I have all the equipment to program PICs. Would a PIC be able to accept a serial I/P of the time (for instance) and then O/P all the relevant 8-bit packets? Or would I require two, one to process the serial I/P the other to take that processed I/P and inject it into the display.

Could you also suggest a suitable PIC?!

Any PIC with sufficient pins would do, you would only need one, it's a fairly trivial design. Picking one with an internal USART would make it slightly easier - although you could easily multiplex the display via a timer interrupt while reading the serial port with a software UART.

Have a look at my tutorials for various details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back