Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Affordable Surface Mount Soldering Iron Kit for Beginners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since being economical is important here's a <20 buck solution to hot air soldering.

**broken link removed**

Also, you need to do the following:

Get a cheap aquarium air pump. I use this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-77851-...J4N6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329700755&sr=8-1

Jb Weld all the vents on the iron, drill a small hole in the top, middle of the iron's handle ( Just after the rubber sleeve) for the air hose, get a 1/8" Tee for the hose. Insert the leg of the tee in the hole u drilled. Attach the hose to one side of the tee and u can throttle the air flow with your thumb as you solder via the venting side of the tee.

For the soldering iron tip all u need is some galvanised wire (from the h'ware) around 18-22 gauge. Wrap it in a tight coil, about 2" long, with a cylindrical toothpick as a form so that u can replace the soldering iron tip with the wire coil. Insert 1.5", leave about a half inch exposed. Now you are done. Turn up your heat control to max and and u have precision, throttleable hot air. I have had this for about a year now....no worries, soldered thousands of parts. Even 416 and 603 parts. get some good solder paste though.
I use this all the time:
**broken link removed**

Never needed any hot air gun to preheat, never damaged a part, I rework SOIC and small QFN just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back