Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Aerosol dust remover dangerous to electronics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lebevti

Consider a 3M compressed gas dust remover in an aerosol can. (#AV152A-3.5)

Yes, I know these can be used to dust off computer screens, TV screens, etc.

But can they be used to dust off PCB boards? Actual electronic components?

I sprayed some electronics inside my TV with this and at first it was air (or some non-liquid) coming out, then after a while, it was some kind of liquid that was being sprayed out as the can got very cold

I got worried that this liquid may be dangerous if I were to plug the TV back in, because the can reads FLAMMABLE all over the place. Just want to know if my TV will explode if I plug it back in because of this.

Or is this dust remover MEANT FOR electronics boards as well?

Most aerosol air dusters aren't actually air but a compressed inert gas that does form a small liquid content that won't do any damage. Just give it a few minutes to evaporate and you'll be fine.

I got worried that this liquid may be dangerous if I were to plug the TV back in, because the can reads FLAMMABLE all over the place. Just want to know if my TV will explode if I plug it back in because of this.

Or is this dust remover MEANT FOR electronics boards as well?

Yes it is meant for boards as well - it's only the propellent gas which is flammable, since CFC's were removed from use (it's now commonly propane or similar), it evaporates within a few seconds so isn't any problem.

The MSDS shows that the product contains 1,1-difluoroethane and a small amount ethanol.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/05/3MDustRemoverAv152aMSDS.pdf

It is worth reading about it, particularly the sections on safety.

Difluoroethane will be a relatively poor solvent, but should dissolve some oils like fingerprints. As a gas, of course, dissolving oils is not an issue. However, as a liquid, it might be. Also, some plastics, like cheap polystyrene, may get a slight haze with the liquid.

The amount of ethanol is very small. It may be there only to stabilize the difluoroethane. By anaology, most chloroform contains a similar amount of ethanol. I doubt it is there because of its solvent properties; however, it is a pretty good solvent. I can't think of any component on a PCB that woud be sensitive to such a very small amount.

John

Last edited:
a little known trick in the repair industry.... when they tell us "we can't get any freeze mist" (freeze mist is for freezing temperature sensitive components)... we buy "canned air" and turn the can upside down to get the liquid spray.... it's the same stuff, but one (freeze mist) has a pickup tube going to the bottom of the can, and "canned air" doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back