Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Aeroflex-IFR 1200. Cool toy but what do I do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Banned
Most Helpful Member
I picked up one of these, in near new condition too, and its really fun for channel surfing from 0 to 1 GHz in AM, FM, and SSB but for the most part other than being a really cool high accuracy RF signal monitor/source, spectrum analyzer what do I do with it? :confused:

Retail suggests its worth around $1500 - $4000 in its present condition so should I keep it and hope I find a good use for it some day or sell it? :)

DCP02319.JPG DCP02317.JPG

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/02/IFR201200S1200A20SPECSPDF.pdf

And no I am not going to give it away either. :p
I don't like any of you that much! :D

Last edited:
I wish I had your problems! Me personally, I would keep it, as I find the moment I would need something like that, I wouldn't have it. But then again, if you don't think you'll ever have a need for it (ie, you have no interest in RF or complex audio work), selling it to someone who does would probably be the best option. Unfortunately, that won't be me; can't afford it. Good luck anyhow (and I saw your scope post earlier too - how'd you luck out with all that equipment?)...

I have used one these while servicing mountain top repeaters for the Civil Air Patrol. I don't own one, but would like to someday. Let me know if you want to sell it.

how'd you luck out with all that equipment?)...

A buddy of mine picked them up at a government and college surplus auction knowing I would be interested in them. Really all I was I was after was the pair of digital 100 MHZ dual trace scopes in the lot and the rest where purely for resale.:)

The Aeroflex IFR 1200 was listed as a RF signal generator and apparently no one knew what it really was. I thought it was a fancy RF signal generator with a built in O scope until I got home last night and looked it up to see what it was. I all most peed myself when I found out what it really did!:D

If I understood it correctly most of them where lightly to likely never used to any real extent ,many look that way too so I tend to believe him. He did have the calibration certificates for most of them as well but we couldn't find them at the time and I didn't really care about that anyway.
I think most where calibrated ten or so years ago and probably rarely used since so for anyone who is doing basic electronics work with one its mostly just a useless feel good certificate anyway.

I bought the lot from him and figured that I could get my money back on the ones I don't need and make a few people happy as well by listing them here first at basically my cost plus adding the fixed rate shipping costs into the prices. ;)

I have used one these while servicing mountain top repeaters for the Civil Air Patrol. I don't own one, but would like to someday. Let me know if you want to sell it.

I have been reading up on what they are for and the companies I know that do that sort of RF communications work are billing themselves out at around $100+ an hour so I suspect that standing firm at $3000 would be a fair middle range for its market value.

Its yours for that otherwise I am going to put it on eBay with that price to start and see if anyone bites.

You could always send it to me :)

You could however also list it for like 150-200% of it's perceived value on an auction site that doesn't charge and keep the add refreshed (like Craigs list...) If it sells before you need it... you didn't need it =) And if you did then you'd have the cash for a replacement and a profit to boot.

You could always send it to me :)

I could but you havent to paid your shipping for the last stuff I sent you yet so I have my doubts on a getting a $3000 check from you anytime soon.:rolleyes: :p

I heard that =)

So out of curiosity does anyone have some interesting suggestions for frequencies I should listen to outside of the standard AM and FM bands while I am still figuring out what all this this can actually do? :eek:

NTIA Office of Spectrum Management

At lower frequencies the antenna might be a problem because of size, but if you want to scan around in the higher end you can make an adjustable dipole or monopole antenna pretty easily.

One thing to do might be to take some keyfobs, like for cars/garrages and try to nail down their frequency, maybe check harmonic bands see how noisy they are. Snooping on 900mhz cordless phone traffic would be something else to do.

**broken link removed** is a similar one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back