Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice. work in PCB design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

colin mac

Hi guys. I went for an interview for a job involving PCB design.
The job involves using a software package that extracts the files from various PCB software. The PCBs are put onto one big board in software and design checks are done to see if they are within spec. so they can be shipped off and made.
I don't know whether I got the job yet. I have the choice of going back to college to do a one year add-on to the course I've just done. There were a few
jobs going at Intel and it was necessary to have done that extra year so I'm wondering if I'd regret not doing it, though I can still do the course another time
if things don't work out.

Just wondering if anyone has worked in a similiar position and what did you think of it?

Hey,

What software package are you talking about?
So it should extract the relevant data from a specific, or more than one, file format and place it on a design for making multiple boards from one large pcb?

Pretty much. The software is called GC-CAM edit. It loads the Gerber file from the usual PCB programs so a bunch of PCBs can be open on the screen at once on a big board.

So if I get it right your job will be be open a crapload of gerber files, put them together in one huge file and send it of to a pcb manufacturer for etching.

Is that it?
You get what I'm insinuating.

Well no, then you have to use the actual software. Which is why I made this thread, to find out if anyone has experience with it. The job is called a CAM operator.

Then I'm glad for you, the job sounded slightly boring (over time).

No sorry, I have not used such software.
Good luck

Hi guys. I went for an interview for a job involving PCB design.
The job involves using a software package that extracts the files from various PCB software. The PCBs are put onto one big board in software and design checks are done to see if they are within spec. so they can be shipped off and made.
I don't know whether I got the job yet. I have the choice of going back to college to do a one year add-on to the course I've just done. There were a few
jobs going at Intel and it was necessary to have done that extra year so I'm wondering if I'd regret not doing it, though I can still do the course another time
if things don't work out.

Just wondering if anyone has worked in a similiar position and what did you think of it?

Can you do it part time? If your locked in with Intel. Don't blow it! Man I'd of give my right arm to work with Intel when I was younger.

You know you can get "Viewmate" for free to load gerbers from different programs.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of downloading the free version of that software anyway.
There's no guarantee of Intel. It just gives in the description that a 4 year degree
is needed for the positions they have on the college website at the moment. I just finished 3rd year. There's only about five 4th year graduates from my college every year in electronics.
I can go back next year if I'm not happy I guess. If i don't get the job, I'll go back this September.

I'm in the process of downloading the free version of that software anyway.
There's no guarantee of Intel. It just gives in the description that a 4 year degree
is needed for the positions they have on the college website at the moment. I just finished 3rd year. There's only about five 4th year graduates from my college every year in electronics.
I can go back next year if I'm not happy I guess. If i don't get the job, I'll go back this September.

Cool! You'll like Viewmate. I use it all the time to check my Gerbers.

Well, what you have to consider now is the pay and benefits and so forth. You still have the option of going to school at night. I worked full time and went to school 4 hours a night 5 days a week for at least a couple of years. Quit work for a time then had to drop out of school because I couldn't pay. They made me come up with a big bunch of change to go back and finish. Student loan you know.

Funny thing. As you mentioned this job I later got an Email this evening and a guy wants for me for some contract work. I got to call him tomorrow. Thanks for rubbing off some good luck on me. I needed it :D

Colin-Mac, as a general rule it is always best to get all the high quality education that you can possibly get and go for it as young as you possibly can. Life conspires to put up unexpected roadblocks as time goes on, so putting off taking some College stuff is risky. Something may happen to prevent you from following through later on, perhaps a move to another location, a family comes along, medical trouble, or you just run out of energy or desire as you get a bit older. Later on your friends are out of college and working and then you return to college and you all drift apart. There are lots of hidden negatives to putting off an education. But there is no question that education opens doors, so make that your highest priority.

yip, I tried to study again, much of the initial stuff was same as I've done many years ago.
Man I struggled me backside off just getting those thing right. Especially the math stuff. I'm sure after years of working this and that, your brain learns not to be able to do those serious math stuff.

real bad, it was so bloody frustrating.

Yes, math is a bugger. I dropped out of University after 4 months the first time round, then worked for half year before going to technical college. 4 years later, after working for a while, I went back to University to try again. Man, the math was the hardest thing to get back up to speed on. My first semester math marks were terrible. Hurculean effort in this subject reaped rewards and I finally got caught up in the second semester. That was hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back